Lemon Rice is very simple and quick variety rice. It is quite common in South India. It is easy to prepare with simple ingredients in very short time. One of the standard and preferred lunchbox recipe.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve it with vada, papadam, potato fry or any fried vegetable, kootu.
- Egg Masala also goes well with lemon rice.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Main Dish YIELD : 2-3 serving
- Red chilli – 3(vary with spice level)
- Curry leaves – 1 string
- Turmeric – 3/4 Tsp
- Lemon – half
- Salt – as required
- Rice – 1 Cup
For Tempering :
- Sesame Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 Tsp
- Channa dal – 1 Tsp
- Peanuts/Ground nuts – 2 Tbsp
- Wash and soak the rice for 20 min. Pressure cook it for 3 whistles with required 2 cups of water.
- Open pressure cooker when pressure is released. Add a Tsp of sesame oil on the top. (This prevents rice from sticking with each other)
- Squeeze half lemon and exact the juice.
- Split red chillies into 2 halves. (just with fingers)
- Place a pan on medium flame. Add Oil.
- When it is hot add mustard seeds. When it starts to splutter add urad dal, channa dal and peanuts.
- When it starts turning golden brown in colour add Red chillies and curry leaves.
- Saute for a while and add turmeric.
- Simmer the heat and add lemon extract. Give a quick stir and switch off the stove.
- Add Rice in the pan. Add salt and mix thoroughly.
- You can use any oil but sesame oil gives good flavour. Even ghee can be used.
- You can use tempering pan for preparing the lemon mix and pour that on the top of the cooked rice and mix it.
- Do not over cook the lemon extract. It will give bitter taste.
- You can add a pinch of grated ginger while tempering.
- You can add cashew nuts while roasting.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by step procedure with Pictures :