TOMATO THOKKU – Thakkali Thokku / Thakkali Urugai
Thokku is one of the traditional recipes in Tamil Nadu.It can be used as pickle with curd rice, as side dish with chapathi and as a spread with bread even with idly and dosa it tastes very good. You can store this upto 2 months if it is cooked and preserved properly. I prefer this recipe for travel. Because it goes with many main dish.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- As side dish with Idly, Dosa, Chapathi, stuffed chapathi, Roti, Curd Rice.
- As spread with bread.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Side dish YIELD : 8-10 serving
- Castor Oil – 3 T bsp
- Sesame Oil – 3 Tbsp
- Garlic – 15 cloves
- Mustard Seeds – 1 Tsp
- Asafoetida – a large pinch
- Curry leaves – 1 string
- Salt – as required
For Grinding :
- Tomato(large) – 4
- Red chilli – 20 to 25(according to spice level)
- Tamarind – small lemon size
- Soak red chillies and tamarind(without seed) in lukewarm water for 20 min.
- Grind it into a paste.
- Cut tomatoes roughly and grind it.
- Cut garlic into small pieces.
- Place a heavy bottom pan over medium heat. When it is hot add castor oil and sesame oil.
- Add mustard seeds. When it starts spluttering add asafoetida and curry leaves. (when mustard seeds are added oil will rise with bubbles since we are using castor oil)
- Add garlic pieces and fry for less than a minute. Don’t burn it.
- Add red chilli and tamarind paste. Saute for about 2 min.
- Then add tomato paste and salt. Mix well.
- Cover the pan with a lid. Stir occasionally. Don’t let the bottom to burn.
- Cook until the oil oozes out from the paste. Be patient. It will take more time. Quantity will reduce to 1/2 0r 1/3 of the original quantity.
- When it is done turn off the heat. Allow it to cool completely and then transfer it to an airtight container. Preferably a glass container.
- Always use clean dry spoons while serving it.
- If you are using tamarind with seeds soak it separately. Remove the seeds and then add red chillies with it.
- Use large pan. Because while cooking the paste will splutter a lot.
- Use a spatula with long handle.
- You can add garlic without cutting it into pieces.
- Cooking over high heat saves time. But cooking over medium heat tastes better.
- Avoid using stainless steel pan.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :