Brinjal kadayal is a tangy recipe. It is easy and quick recipe for breakfast. This is a traditional recipe of South India where we use mud pot and mathu (masher) for mashing. It is the best side dish for ven pongal.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve as a side dish with ven pongal
- Serve with chapathi, rice.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Side dish YIELD : 2 serving
- Brinjal / eggplant – 4
- Shallots – 4
- Tomato(medium) – 1
- Tamarind – goosebery size
- Turmeric – 1/2 Tsp
- Green chili – 2
- Salt – as required
- Water – as required
For Tempering :
- Oil – 2 Tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 Tsp
- Channa dal – 1/2 Tsp
- Red chilli – 5
- Curry leaves – 1 string
- Finely chop onion and tomatoes.
- Cut brinjal into cubes.
- Slit green chilies.
- Extract juice from tamarind.
- In that bowl add brinjal, onion, tomato, green chili, tamarind juice, turmeric.
- Add water if required and pressure cook this for 2 whistles.
- When pressure is released, filter excess water from cooked brinjal. Save this water for later use.
- Place a tempering pan on medium flame. Add oil.
- Temper with given ingredients.
- Pour this on the top of cooked brinjal.
- Mash it well with masher(mathu).
- Add salt and filtered water. Mix well.
- You can cook brinjal in Kadai instead of pressure cooker.
- Filtering water from cooked brinjal makes easy for mashing.
- Use mud pot for mashing brinjal.
If you found this post worthy, kindly share this with your friends and like my Facebook page for updates. https://www.facebook.com/Dimples-Cookbook-360014267724776/
Step by Step procedure with pictures :