Pongal is prepared with raw rice and moong dal as main ingredient. Ven pongal is a traditional recipe and it is mostly offered in many Hindu temples. It is easy and quick breakfast recipe.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Main Dish YIELD : 2-3 serving
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Split Yellow Moong dal – 1/2 cup
- Water – as required
- Salt – as required
For Tempering :
- Ghee – 2 Tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 2 Tsp
- Black Pepper – 2 Tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 string
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Hing – small pinch
- Cashew nuts – 6-10
- Wash and soak rice for 15-20 min.
- Dry roast moong dal until it gives good aroma(about 3 min). Color should not change.
- Add this with the soaking rice.
- Crush pepper roughly.
- Grate ginger.
- Place a pressure cooker on medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp ghee.
- Temper with cumin, pepper, ginger, hing and curry leaves.( I didn’t use curry leaves today)
- Saute once. Add 3.5 cups water.
- Drain rice and dal. Add this to boiling water.
- Cook for 3 whistles.
- Roast cashew nuts in ghee.
- When pressure is released open and add salt and cashew nuts.
- Mix well and serve hot.
- Adding a Tbsp of ghee on the top will be delicious.
- You can cook rice and dal in pressure cooker. And pour tempering on the top and mix it.
- You can use whole pepper. But crushed pepper will enhance the flavor.
If you found this post worthy, kindly share this with your friends and like my Facebook page for updates. https://www.facebook.com/Dimples-Cookbook-360014267724776/
Step by Step procedure with pictures :