Spinach / Keerai is very healthy food for all ages. Cooking spinach at least twice a week is advisable. I am using spinach for today’s recipe. You can use any keerai variety(ariai keerai, mulai keerai, thandu keerai) with this method.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Simply serve hot with steamed white rice. Apalam / papadam will be good combination.
- Serve as side dish with vatha kulambu for rice.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Side Dish YIELD :2-3 serving
- Spinach – 1 pack (app. 3 cups)
- Moong dal – 1/4 cup
- Channa dal – 1.5 Tbsp
- Turmeric – 1/4 Tsp
- Shallots/small onion(opt) – 2
- Water – as required
- salt – as required
- Oil – 2 Tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Urad dal – 1 Tsp
- Hing / Asafoetida – a pinch
- Curry leaves – 1 string
For coconut paste:
- Grated Coconut – 1/4 cup ( or less)
- Cumin seeds – 1 Tsp
- Red chillies – 2 or 3
- Wash moong dal and channa dal together. Pressure cook it with turmeric, hing and required water for 2 whistles.
- Grind coconut paste with given ingredients.
- Wash spinach twice and drain it. Finely chop it and keep it ready.
- Finely chop shallots. (optional)
- Place a pan/kadai on medium flame. Add oil.
- When it is hot add mustard seeds. When it starts spluttering add urad dal.
- Saute till it turns golden brown. Add hing, curry leaves.
- Add onion and saute till becomes translucent.(optional)
- Add spinach and little water. Spinach will cook soon.
- Mash the cooked dal and add it. Give a quick stir.
- Add salt and coconut paste. Simmer it for 3-5 min and switch off the flame.
- You can add cooked dal without mashing.
- You can mash the cooked spinach with potato masher before adding dal.
- Adding onion is completely optional.
- You can do tempering separately and add on the top.
If you found this post worthy, kindly share this with your friends and like my Facebook page for updates. https://www.facebook.com/Dimples-Cookbook-360014267724776/
Step by Step Procedure :