URAD DAL VADA|Medhu Vadai | Ulundhu Vadai | Indian Savory Donuts | Step by step procedure with Pictures
Medu vadai is a popular South Indian deep fried savory recipe. It is commonly served during breakfast with Sambar or/and chutney. It is also a great snack. Sambar Vada, Rasam Vada and Thayir Vada are popular snacks in many places. Urad dal is the main ingredient used and this vada is packed with full of protein. This Vada is soft inside with crispy outer layer.
Preparing the batter in right consistency is much important for making perfect vada. Grinder works best for this. If you are preparing in small quantity, you could use blender instead.
When I was a beginner, I feel restless while preparing deep fried items. After 2 or 3 trials I am much comfortable now. So give it a try. Make Sure you read all the tips given below to make a perfect crispy Vada.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve with Coconut chutney / Sambar.
- Sambar Vada, Thayir(Curd) Vada, Rasam Vada are quite famous eve snack.
- Popular South Indian breakfast combo :
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Appetizer YIELD : 15-20 vada
- Urad dal – 3/4 cup(use whole urad dal)
- Curry leaves – few
- Onion(medium) – 1/2
- Green chilli – 1
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Black pepper – 4-6
- Asafoetida/ Hing – 1/2 Tsp
- Coriander leaves – as required
- Rice flour – 1 or 2 Tbsp (if needed)
- Salt – as required
- Oil – for deep frying
- Wash and Soak Urad dal in cold water/ice cubes for 2 hours. If you are using room temperature water, soak it for 30 min and refrigerate for 1.5 hours.
- Finely chop onion, green chilli, ginger, curry leaves and coriander leaves.
- Roughly crush the black pepper.
- Drain the water completely and grind it using a wet grinder/blender without adding water. If needed just sprinkle water now and then. We need a tight fluffy batter. (If you are using blender, it may get heated easily. Wait and grind)
- Transfer it to a mixing bowl. Aerate it.
- Add onion, green chilli, ginger, coriander leaves, curry leaves and pepper. Combine everything.
- Add hing and salt. Give a quick mix.
- Heat oil for deep fry over medium heat. To check, drop a small amount of batter in the hot oil. It should come up immediately. Then, we are ready to prepare vada.
- Place water in a bowl for dipping fingers. Wet your hand and take lemon sized batter. Make a hole in the center using thumb.
- Gently drop it into hot oil. (Move your hand nearby the oil kadai, invert your hand slowly and slightly move the vada with thumb. So that your vada will drop into oil)
- Make vada in batches. Do not overload it.
- Fry until it becomes golden brown on both the sides. Remove it from oil and transfer to paper towel.
- Do the same to rest of the batter.
- Soak a Tbsp of rice along with urad dal to add more crispiness. But it is completely optional. You can add rice flour to the batter if needed.
- You could grind green chilli and ginger along with urad dal, if you don’t like to bite it. (First grind chilli and ginger then add urad dal)
- If your batter is watery, add rice flour to the batter to adjust the consistency.
- If your vada absorbs more oil, mix some rice flour to the batter for the next batches.
- You can prepare rough shaped vada without hole in the middle. Making holes helps in even cooking and also makes it crispy.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by step procedure with pictures :