COOKING BASMATI RICE
Basmati rice is a long rice used for biryani and pulao recipes. Cooking this rice in right consistency is very important for any recipe. When you buy basmati rice, choose long thin rice.
When you cook basmati rice using pressure cooker, it will slightly sticky. So cooking basmati rice in pot is always preferable. If you are not familiar with basmati rice try with less quantity of rice for trial and then go ahead.
It takes very less time to cook basmati rice. Within 30 min you can cook it(including soaking time)
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : Indian
- Basmati rice – 1 cup
- Ghee/Oil – 2 Tsp
- Water – as needed
- Spices(Optional) – Cinnamon(1 inch), Cardamom(3), Cloves(3)
- Wash and soak basmati rice in water for 20-25 min
- Boil water in a large vessel. Add nearly 4-5 cups of water for cooking 1 cup rice.
- Add Spices(opt). Close it with a lid.
- When water is boiling add rice,salt and ghee.
- Cook for 4-5 min. Carefully check the rice using spatula. (Caution hot)
- According to you dish cook rice until 75% or 90% done.
- Turn off the stove.
- Immediately filter using a colander to stop further cooking.
- For dishes like zeera pulao and fried rice you can cook rice until it is 90% done. For dishes like Dum Biryani you should cook 75%.
- Using Ghee/oil prevents rice from sticking and also gives a silky texture.
- Adding Salt is optional. I do not prefer it.
If you found this post worthy, kindly share this with your friends and like my Facebook page for updates. https://www.facebook.com/Dimples-Cookbook-360014267724776/
Step by step procedure with pictures :