FRIED ONION – Biryani Onions / Brown Onions
Fried onions are widely used for dum biryani and some curry recipes. It gives a very good flavor and taste to biryani. Fried onions/brown onions are available in stores. But they are simple and easy to prepare at home. The colour of the onion is very much important in this recipe.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : Indian
- Corn flour(opt)
- Paper towels
- Peel the skin of onions.
- Thinly slice the onions and separate the layers.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep fry.
- The oil should not be very hot. Add onion slices on medium hot oil.
- While adding onions just spread it and add. Do not add all onions on same place.
- Fry in batches. Do not overload it.
- Fry carefully until the slices reach even golden brown color. Mix often.
- Keep paper towels ready. When it reaches golden brown color just remove it from oil and place it on paper towel.
- Onions will get some additional color even after removing from oil. so do not cook until dark brown color.
- Let it cool down. You can notice the color change and crispness.
- If you are doing less quantity just shallow fry it. (I always prefer)
- If oil is very hot, when you add onion slices it will begin to brown at the end. So onions will not be evenly brown.
- If your onions become dark brown, please do not use it. It will spoil the taste of your recipe.
- Optional – You can sprinkle little bit of corn flour to onions before frying. It will give more crunchy feel. But if you add more flour then onions get sticky with each other. You should add it for each batch onions separately just before frying.
If you found this post worthy, kindly share this with your friends and like my Facebook page for updates. https://www.facebook.com/Dimples-Cookbook-360014267724776/
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :