HYDERABADI VEG DUM BIRYANI
Dum Biryani is one of the delicious and rich rice recipe. Cooking biryani takes time but it is much worth for it. Dum biryani is a slow cooking recipe which makes the dish so aromatic and yummy. This is a special recipe for vegetarian people.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve with Onion Raita or plain onion.
- Serve with any gravy.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Main Dish YIELD :3-4 serving
For Biryani Gravy(Base):
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Shahi jeera – 1 Tsp
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
- Cloves – 4
- Cardamom – 4
- Star anise – 1
- Bay leaf – 1
- Onion(medium) (Optional)- half
- G.chilli – 5
- Ginger garlic paste – 1.5 Tbsp
- Chopped Carrot – 1/2 cup
- Chopped beans – 1/2 cup
- Cauliflower florets – 1.5 cup
- Chopped Potato – 1/2 cup
- Yogurt/Curd – 1/4 cup
- Turmeric – 1/2 Tsp
- Red Chilli powder – 1 Tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Biryani masala – 3/4 Tsp
For Cooking Rice:
- Basmati Rice – 2 cups
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
- Cardamom – 3
- Cloves – 3
- Bay leaf – 1
- Ghee – 1 Tsp
- Salt (opt) – as required
- Water – as required
- Ghee – 1 Tbsp
- Fried Onion – 1/2 cup
- Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
- Mint – 1/4 cup
- Saffron strands – 1/4 Tsp or less
- Cashew nuts – 5-10
- Prepare Fried Onions. Or use store bought brown onions.
- Wash and Soak basmati rice before you start preparing gravy.
- Chop all veges in same size.
- Finely chop mint and coriander.
- Long slice onion for gravy.(opt)
- Place a pan on medium heat.When it is hot add spices.(shahi jeera, bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, star anise)
- Saute once and add onion and green chilli.
- Saute until onion becomes golden brown. Add ginger garlic paste.
- When there is no raw smell add chopped veges, red chilli powder and turmeric.
- Saute for 2 min and add beaten curd/yogurt. Mix well.
- Cover it with a lid and let it cook till veges are 75% done.
- Add salt and biryani masala. Give a good mix. Turn off the stove.
Cooking rice :
- When veges are cooking, you can start cooking rice on another stove.
- Cooking Basmati Rice. You can see procedure for cooking rice. Cook until rice is 75% done.
- Place an old tawa/griddle on medium heat. When it is hot reduce heat.
- Take a layering pot. Grease with ghee throughout the pot.
- Add the Vege gravy. Add cooked basmati rice on top.
- Spread saffron strands, cashew nuts and ghee on top of rice.
- Spread Fried onions, finely chopped mint and coriander leaves.
- Cover the pot with aluminium foil sheet. Close it tight with a lid.
- Place this pot on the hot tawa. Reduce the heat.
- Let it sit for 20-30 min. Heat should be on warm/low.
- After 30 min, open the lid. You can serve it in 2 ways.
- Gently mix rice and gravy from bottom and serve it. (preferred)
- Otherwise serve without mixing it. Directly take part of rice and gravy from top layer to the bottom. So that you can serve equal quantity of rice and gravy.
- Adjust veges according to your wish. You can add green peas and other veges.
- You may add little bit of water while cooking veges. (if veges are in big piece)
- Use heavy bottom pot for layering.
- You can prepare gravy in the same pot and add layers over it.
- For gravy I am using a pan which I used for fried onions.(brown onions)
- I am preparing 2 layers. If you are planning for more layers, split gravy and rice accordingly.
- If you are using same pot for gravy and layering skip greasing step.
- Soak saffron strands in 2 Tbsp warm milk and use this while layering biryani.
- You can use raisins and other nuts while layering.
- Instead of aluminium foil you can use moist cloth.
- Also you can seal it with chapati dough . Cover the pot with lid and seal it with dough.
- If you feel your gravy is dry add some curd/yogurt on top of gravy while layering.
If you found this post worthy, kindly share this with your friends and like my Facebook page for updates. https://www.facebook.com/Dimples-Cookbook-360014267724776/
Step by step procedure with pictures :