GREEN MOONG DAL CURRY – Pachai payaru kadayal/masiyal
Green moong dal ( Pachai payaru in tamil ) is good source of protein and low carbs food. We can prepare various recipes using moong dal. This moong dal curry is very easy to prepare. Adding lentils to our daily food routine makes us healthy.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve with steamed white/brown rice. (Add a tsp of ghee on top of hot rice) Apalam/Papad works as a best side dish.
- Serve as side dish for chapati.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Side Dish YIELD :3-4 serving
- Green gram/ Green moong dal /Pachai payaru – 1/2 cup
- Water – as required
- Salt – as required
- Tomato(medium) – 1
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
For grinding paste :
- Shallots – 2 or 3
- G.chilli – 1 (vary with spice level)
- Cumin seeds – 1 Tsp
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Wash and soak moong dal for 2 hours. (minimum 1 hr)
- Grind all the ingredients together given for grinding.
- Grind tomato into paste.
- Pressure cook the moong dal with required water for 5-6 whistles .
- When pressure is released, mash it with potato masher or mathu( traditional wooden masher)
- Place a kadai/pan on medium flame. Add oil.
- Add the ground paste we prepared. Cook until there is no raw smell.
- Add tomato paste and salt. Saute often.
- Cook until oil oozes out.
- Add the mashed dal. Give a good mix. Add water if required.
- Simmer for 3-5 min and turn off the stove.
- Instead of paste, you can use finely chopped onion, g.chilli and tomato.
- You can add dal without mashing it.
- You can skip tomato but the taste differs.
If you found this post worthy, kindly share this with your friends and like my Facebook page for updates. https://www.facebook.com/Dimples-Cookbook-360014267724776/
Step by step procedure with pictures :