HORSEGRAM THUVAIYAL – Kollu Thuvaiyal
Kollu/Horsegram is a lentil variety. It is popularly known for weight loss. It has high calcium content and also rich in protein. This thuvaiyal recipe is tasty and healthy recipe.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve with steamed white rice. Have papadam as side dish.
- Serve as side dish for idly and dosa.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : SideDish YIELD : 3-4 servings
- Horsegram/Kollu – 1/2 cup
- Red chilli – 5 (vary with spice level)
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Urad dal – 1.5 Tbsp
- Grated Coconut – 1/4 cup or less
- Tamarind – small gooseberry size
- Salt – as required
- Water – as required
For tempering :
- Oil – 1 Tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Curry leaves(opt) – 1 string
- Soak tamarind in warm water. (use less water)
- Heat a pan. Dry roast horesegram until the colour changes. Transfer it to a plate.
- In the same pan roast red chilli and garlic. Roast for 2 min. Transfer to the same plate.
- Add urad dal to the hot pan. Roast until the colour changes.
- Add grated coconut and turn off the stove.
- Let it sit on the heat for a min. Transfer these to the plate.
- Let it cool down completely.
- Extract juice from tamarind.
- In a blender add roasted ingredients, tamarind and salt.
- Grind it into a coarse paste. Add little bit water if required.
- Transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves and add it to the paste.
- You can add tamarind directly without soaking it.
- Sometimes horsegram contains tiny stones.
- When you roast horsegram it will become larger in size. So check for the tiny stones after roasting it.
If you found this post worthy, kindly share this with your friends and like my Facebook page for updates. https://www.facebook.com/Dimples-Cookbook-360014267724776/
Step by step procedure with pictures :