BESANWALI BHINDI – Okra with Besan
Okra ( Bhindi / Lady’s Finger / Vendakkai ) is a low calorie vegetable. Besan means gram flour and bhindi is okra. Besanwali bhindi is cooking okra along with besan flour and other spices. Choose fresh and small okra for this recipe.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve as side dish for rice with dal recipes.
- Serve as side dish for chapati.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : North Indian
COURSE : SideDish YIELD : 2-3 servings
For Stuffing :
- Okra(small) – 25
- Besan flour – 4 Tbsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 Tsp
- Turmeric – 1/4 Tsp
- Asafoetida / Hing – a pinch
- Salt – as needed
- Amchur / Dry mango powder – 1 Tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 Tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 Tsp
- Garam Masala – 1/2 Tsp
For Frying :
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Shallots(optional) – 3
- Wash, pat dry okras. Cut both ends. Slit lengthwise without cutting it into two pieces.
- In a bowl add all ingredients given for stuffing.(except okra)
- Mix well and keep masala mix ready.
- Stuff the masala mix into okra. Use a small spoon.
- Place a pan on medium heat. Add oil. Add cumin and shallots.
- Saute once and add stuffed okta and left over masala mix.
- Gently mix it. Reduce the heat.
- Close the pan with lid. Saute for every 2 min.
- Let it cook evenly in low heat.
- Turn off the stove when okra is cooked completely.
- You can skip stuffing and directly add the masala mix to the pan. But this tastes good than that.
- If you are using long okras, just cut it into 3 inch pieces and use it.
- You can add julienne of ginger to this recipe.
If you found this post worthy, kindly share this with your friends and like my Facebook page for updates. https://www.facebook.com/Dimples-Cookbook-360014267724776/
Step by step procedure with pictures :