RAGI PUTTU – Kezhvaragu(Finger Millet) Puttu
Ragi (Kezhvaragu/ Finger Millet/ Keppai/ Ragulu) is one of the most healthy cereals. It has high protein content and good source of calcium. This is one of the highly nutritious millet. It reverts skin ageing and keeps you young. Ragi controls diabetes. It is advisable to add Ragi in your morning meal or lunch. High dietary fiber in Ragi make your stomach feel fuller for long time.
Ragi puttu is made with steamed ragi flour, grated coconut and jaggery/sugar. This is simple and healthy breakfast recipe. You can serve this as a evening snack also.
You can also try other Ragi recipes Ragi Semiya
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve as Breakfast or evening snack.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Breakfast, Snack YIELD : 2 serving
- Ragi Flour – 1 cup
- Water – 1/4 cup or less
- Salt – small pinch
- Jaggery/ Sugar – as required
- Ghee – 1 Tbsp
- Cardamom powder – a pinch
- Grated Coconut – 1/3 cup.
- In a kadai/pan dry roast ragi flour over medium heat for about 2-3 min or until you get good aroma from it. Transfer it to a plate. Let it cool down.
- Boil water.
- Add salt to the ragi flour.
- Add hot water little at a time to the ragi flour and mix this using a spatula or a spoon. Do not add more water. There should be no lumps in the flour.
- Remember flour will be warm after adding water. Rub the flour mixture with fingers to get crumbled texture. (You should get bread crumbs consistency)
- Steam this for about 12-15 min over medium heat. (I am using Idly pan for steaming. You can use puttu maker instead) You can feel nice aroma while steaming this.
- Transfer this to a mixing bowl. Add Ghee, sugar/jaggery, cardamom powder and grated coconut. Mix well using a spatula.
- Ragi Puttu is ready to be served.
- Generally while steaming anything like puttu/ kolkatai/ idly, first allow water to come to a boil and the place the idly plate. It makes the dish to get cooked evenly.
- If there are more lumps even after rubbing with fingers, you can sieve it.
If you found this post worthy, kindly share this with your friends and like my Facebook page for updates. https://www.facebook.com/Dimples-Cookbook-360014267724776/
Step by step procedure with pictures :