FOXTAIL MILLET BIRYANI – Thinai Biryani
Millets are gluten-free and easily digestible grains. Foxtail Millet (Thinai in Tamil and Korra in Telugu) helps lowering blood cholesterol. Millets are packed with good amount of protein and fiber. Many people are thinking that millets are boring and tasteless food. But it is absolutely not true. We can prepare Delicious recipes using millets. Today I am posting a vegetable biryani recipe using foxtail millet.
If you are looking for Basmati Rice Biryani, try Hyderabadi Veg Dum Biryani.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve with raita/gravy of your choice for lunch.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Main Dish YIELD :3 servings
- Foxtail Millet – 1 cup
- Water – as needed
- Oil – 1/2 Tbsp
- Whole Spices:
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
- Cardamom – 3 pods
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cloves – 3
- Star anise(opt) – 1
- Cumin seeds – 1Tsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 Tsp
- Onion(medium) – 1
- Green chilli – 2
- Tomato(medium) -1
- Vegetable mix – 1.5 cup (carrot, beans, green peas, potato, cauliflower)
- Mint – 2 Tbsp (chopped)
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 Tsp
- Salt – as required
- Ghee – 1 Tsp
- Coriander leaves – for garnishing
- Wash and soak foxtail millet in warm water for an hour.
- Finely chop onion, tomato, mint and coriander leaves.
- Slit green chillies length wise.
- Chop vegetables evenly in medium/ small size.
- Place a pressure cook over medium heat. Add oil.
- When oil is hot add whole spices. Saute once.
- Add chopped onion and green chillies. Saute 2-3 min.
- Add ginger garlic paste. Saute until there is no raw smell.
- Add in tomato and saute until it becomes soft.
- Add Vegetables and mint. Mix well.
- Add red chilli powder and salt. Mix well and cook for 3-4 min.
- Add 3 cups water.
- Roasting Millet : (optional step)
- Completely drain the millet.
- Place a kadai/pan over medium heat. Add Ghee.
- Add foxtail millet and roast for 2-3 min.
- Add foxtail millet. Mix well and check for salt.
- Cover the pressure cooker and allow 1 whistle.
- Switch off the heat and let it sit for 20-25 min.
- Open pressure cooker. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve it.
- Use one or more vegetables according to your preference.
- Ratio is 1:3.For 1 cup foxtail millet use 3 cups of water.
- Instead of pressure cooker you can cook directly using a heave bottom pan. After adding foxtail millet close the pan with a lid. Simmer it until 90% of water evaporates. Switch of the heat and allow 20-25 min resting time. Millets will become fluffy during resting time.
If you found this post worthy, kindly share this with your friends and like my Facebook page for updates. https://www.facebook.com/Dimples-Cookbook-360014267724776/
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :