TOMATO DOSA – Thakali Dosa
Dosa is almost everyday recipe in most of the South Indian houses. When you feel bored of regular traditional dosa try this spicy and tangy tomato dosa. No fermentation needed for this batter. You can prepare batter and it is ready for making dosa. It goes well with simple coconut chutney or peanut chutney.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve as dinner with coconut chutney or peanut chutney.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Breakfast , Dinner YIELD :8-10 Dosas
For Batter :
- Raw rice – 1/2 cup
- Par boiled rice – 1/2 cup
- Tomato(medium) – 3
- Red chilli – 4-6
- Cumin seeds – 1 Tbsp
- Fennel seeds(opt) – 1 Tsp
- Salt – as required
For Tempering :
- Oil – 1 Tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 Tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 string
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Hing(opt) – a pinch
- Onion – 1 (finely chopped)
- Wash and soak parboiled rice and raw rice together for 3-4 hours.
- Soak red chilli, fennel seeds and cumin for 30 min.
- Roughly chop tomatoes.
- Finely chop onions.
For Batter :
- Coarsely grind red chilli, fennel seeds and cumin. Transfer to a mixing bowl or continue grinding rice in the same jar.
- Completely drain rice and add into the blender. Add tomatoes. Grind like dosa batter. (No need to add water)
- Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add salt and mix well.
- Heat a kadai/pan. Temper with mustard seeds, urad dal, cumin seeds, hing and curry leaves.
- Add onions and saute for a min or two. Switch of the heat and add this to the batter.
- Mix well. Batter is ready.
Making Dosa :
- Heat a tawa/griddle.
- Add a full ladle of batter and make spread it like regular dosa. Sprinkle oil.
- Let it get cooked. Flip and cook on other side.
- Serve hot with chutney of your choice.
- If you are doing in large quantity grind rice separately.
- You can add a piece of ginger while grinding red chillies.
If you found this post worthy, kindly share this with your friends and like my Facebook page for updates. https://www.facebook.com/Dimples-Cookbook-360014267724776/
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :