Idly podi / Idly milagai podi is a simple side dish for idly or dosa. You should mix this powder with sesame oil and have it as a side dish. Basically, it is a handy backup powder for lack of chutney or sambar. But in many homes(like mine) it is essential side dish for idly, dosa.
This powder is made by dry roasting lentils, red chilli and grinding it. While making this powder be patient. Slowly roast these in low flame to attain even colouring. If you hurry up you will not attain the texture and taste of the recipe. Also do not grind it into a fine powder. Coarse powder gives good crunchy taste. If properly prepared, you could store this powder up to 6 months.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve as a side dish for idly and dosa. Mix this powder with sesame oil.
- Prepare podi dosa and podi idly.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian COURSE : Side Dish
- Whole Urad dal – 1 cup
- Channa dal – 1/3 cup
- Red Chilli – 10-12
- Asafoetida/Hing – 1 Tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Curry leaves – 2 strings
- Fried gram(pottukadalai) or Sesame Seed – 1 Tbsp
- Dry roast urad dal and channa dal separately on low heat until it reaches golden brown colour evenly. Transfer it to a dry plate.
- Dry roast red chillies in the same pan on low heat. Do not change the colour. Just saute for a min or 2. Transfer to the same plate.
- Dry roast curry leaves until the colour changes. Switch off the stove. Transfer it to the same plate.
- Add asafoetida and salt with this. Let everything completely cool down.
- Grind into a coarse powder. Store it in air tight container.
- If you are preparing large quantity, grind
- Urad dal and channa dal together
- Red chilli, curry leaves, salt and asafoetida together.
- If you are adding fried gram(pottukadalai) or sesame seeds, dry roast it separately and add it while grinding dal.
- Adding fried gram or sesame seeds makes your podi into fine powder.
If you found this post worthy, kindly share this with your friends and like my Facebook page for updates. https://www.facebook.com/Dimples-Cookbook-360014267724776/
Step by step procedure with pictures :