DRUMSTICK SAMBAR – Murungakkai Sambar
Sambar is very common and popular South Indian recipe which is usually served with rice, idly, dosa and vada. You can use any vegetable or combination of vegetables for this recipe.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve with white rice. Any vegetable fry or porial will go well with this.
- Serve with idly, dosa or vada.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Main Course YIELD :3-4 servings
For Cooking Dal:
- Toor dal – 1/3 cup
- Turmeric – a pinch
- Garlic – 2 pods
- Hing / Asafoetida – 1 pinch
- Castor oil / Sesame oil – 1/2 Tsp
- Oil – 1 Tsp
- Onion/shallots – 1/4 cup (roughly chopped)
- Tomato(small) – 1
- Turmeric – 1/4 Tsp
- Sambar Powder – 1.5 Tbsp
- Drumstick – 10-15 pieces (roughly 2-3 drumstick)
- Tamarind – small gooseberry size
- Water – as required
- Salt – as required
- Oil -1 Tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 Tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 string
- Hing/ Asafoetida – a pinch
- Wash and soak toor dal for 20 min. Cook dal for 3 whistles with given ingredients.
- Soak tamarind in luke warm water for 20 min. Extract juice and remove pulp.
- Chop onion, tomato and drumstick.
- Heat a kadai/pan. Add oil.
- Add in onion and saute until soft.
- Add tomatoes and salt. Saute for 2 min.
- Add drumstick, turmeric and sambar powder.
- Pour water and adjust consistency.(approximately 1.5 cups)
- Let it boil until drumstick is completely cooked.
- Add tamarind extract.
- Mash the cooked dal with a masher/mathu(traditional masher). (filtering water before mashing makes it easier)
- Add this mashed dal to the sambar. Mix well and cook for 3-4 min and switch off the heat.
- On a separate pan temper with given ingredients and add this to sambar.
- Check for salt and sourness after adding dal. You can add tamarind water if sourness needed.
- Sambar colour will be different according to you tamarind quality and sambar powder.
If you found this post worthy, kindly share this with your friends and like my Facebook page for updates. https://www.facebook.com/Dimples-Cookbook-360014267724776/
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :