SPINACH STIR FRY – Keerai Poriyal
Spinach is good for all ages. Adding spinach to our regular menu is very healthy. This spinach poriyal is tasty and simple recipe. You can use any kind of greens for this recipe. I am using baby spinach today.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve as side dish for Rice with Sambar or Rasam.
- Serve as side dish for Chapati.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Side dish YIELD : 2-3 servings.
- Spinach – 1 bunch / 1 packet (app. 3 cups tight packed)
- Red chilli – 3
- Curry leaves – 1 string
- Garlic – 4
- Onion / shallot – 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
- Coconut – 3-4 Tbsp (grated)
- Salt – as required
- Water – if needed
For Tempering :
- Oil – 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 Tsp
- Channa dal – 1 Tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Clean and wash spinach 2 times or until required. Drain water completely.
- Finely chop the spinach, onion and garlic.
- Heat a kadai / pan. Add oil.
- When it is hot add mustard seeds. When it starts spluttering add other ingredients given for tempering. Saute for a min or less.
- Break red chillies and add those along with curry leaves.
- Saute without burning the red chillies. Add garlic. Mix once.
- Add onion and cook until soft.
- Add spinach. Combine well and let it cook for 3-4 min over medium low heat. (spinach get cooked soon)
- When it is done add salt and stir well.
- Add coconut and turn off the heat. Combine well.
- Adding a pinch of sugar while cooking will retain the colour of spinach.
- Do not cook spinach for a long time.
- Cover with a lid while cooking spinach.
If you found this post worthy, kindly share this with your friends and like my Facebook page for updates. https://www.facebook.com/Dimples-Cookbook-360014267724776/ Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @dimplescookbook
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :