POTATO FRY – Urulai kilangu Varuval
Potato is very common in every household all around the world. Today I am posting a easy and tasty South Indian Potato Fry recipe. I am adding tomato to this which makes this recipe a little bit tangy in taste. Usually potato fry is made either by shallow frying or deep frying the potato. But this recipe needs very less oil since we use boiled potato.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve with any variety rice.
- Serve with Sambar, Rasam or Curd rice.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Side Dish YIELD : 2-3 Servings
- Potato – 1 (Large)
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 String
- Onion – 1 (medium)
- Tomato – 1 (Small)
- Ginger garlic paste – 1/2 Tbsp
- Salt – needed
- Water – as needed
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 Tsp (or to taste)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 Tsp
- Wash and pressure cook the potato for 2 whistles with enough water.
- Let it completely cool down. Remove potato from water. Peel the skin and chop the potato into medium size pieces.
- Finely chop onion and tomato.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add oil.
- When it is hot add cumin seeds.Saute once.
- Add curry leaves and onion.
- Cook until onion starts to change in colour. Add ginger garlic paste.
- Saute until there is no raw smell. Add tomatoes.
- Add salt and cook until tomatoes become soft. Cover with a lid and cook.
- Add chopped potatoes. Add Turmeric and red chilli powder.
- Combine everything well. Reduce the heat if needed.
- Saute often. Cook until you get the desired consistency.
- If you need completely dry recipe it will take about 8-10 min. You can turn off the heat any time after 4 min.
- Some potatoes get cooked in less time whereas some takes more time. Cook accordingly.
- Always boil potato without cutting it. Since the impurities in the skin will not get into the potato.
- You can use cumin powder instead of cumin seeds.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :