MUSHROOM BIRYANI in Pressure Cooker using Seeraga Samba Rice
Making Biryani is something special and satisfying. Using Seeraga samba rice for biryani makes it more flavourful since it absorbs masala well. I prefer Mushroom Biryani for vegeterian parties / Lunch. It is easy to prepare and sounds scrumptious.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve with Onion Raita.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Main YIELD : 2 Servings
- Whole spices :
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cinnamom – 1 inch
- Cardamom – 3
- Cloves – 4
- Star Anise – 1
- Ghee / Clarified butter – 3 Tbsp
- Seeraga Samba Rice – 1 Cup
- Water – as needed
- Salt – as needed
- Onion(medium) – 1
- Tomato(small) – 1
- Green chilli – 2
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 Tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 Tsp
- Garam Masala – 1/2 Tsp
- Mushroom – approximately 1.5 cup (200g)
- Yogurt / Curd – 2 Tbsp
- Mint leaves – 2-3 Tbsp (finely chopped)
- Coriander leaves – 2-3 Tbsp (finely chopped)
- Lemon juice – 1 Tsp
For Grinding :
- Mint leaves – 2-3 Tbsp (Finely chopped)
- Coriander leaves – 2-3 Tbsp (Finely chopped)
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Wash and cut mushrooms into thick slices.
- Thinly slice onion and tomato.
- Slit green chillies lengthwise.
- Grind together the given ingredients for grinding with little water.
- Wash the rice twice and completely drain it.
- Heat a kadai or pan. Add 1 Tbsp ghee.
- Add the drained rice and roast it for 2-3 min or until it is completely coated with ghee. Set it aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker over medium heat and 2 Tbsp ghee. Add in the whole spices.
- Saute for 30 sec. Add onion and green chillies.
- Cook until onion starts turning golden brown.
- Add in the ground paste. Cook until no raw smell. Do not let it burn at the bottom of the pan.
- Add tomatoes and salt. Let it cook until soft.
- Add turmeric, red chilli powder and garam masala.
- Saute for a min and add mushrooms, mint and coriander leaves. Combine well.
- Mushroom will leave some moisture. Saute for 2 min and add yogurt.
- Mix well and 1.75 cups of water.( For cooking 1 cup seeraga samba rice we need 1.75 cups of water)
- Add roasted rice and combine well. Add a tsp of lemon juice on the top and cover with the lid.
- Allow 1 whistle and turn off the heat. Let it completely cool down.
- Delicious Mushroom Biryani is ready.
- You can try this recipe with basmati rice also. If so soak rice for 30 min and use 2 cups of water. Allow 2 whistles.
- You can skip tomato and increase the quantity of yogurt.
- Roasting rice in ghee makes biryani more flavourful and prevents from sticking with each other.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :