Athika palaharam also known as Thengai paal paniyaram is a healthy breakfast recipe. It is sweet in taste. It is made of urad dal vada soaked in coconut milk. For many of you this may be a new recipe. Do try it once, you will love it.
Read the complete recipe procedure and tips before making it. As you see in the picture it is served with some vada in coconut milk like Gulab jamun in Sugar syrup.
You may also like other breakfast recipes
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve as breakfast or evening snack.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Breakfast YIELD : 1-2 serving
For Coconut Milk :
- Coconut slices/ shredded coconut – 1.5 cups
- Water – as required
- Sugar- 2 Tbsp
- Cardamom powder – a pinch
For Urad dal Vada :
- Urad dal – 1/2 cup
- Water – as required
- Salt – as needed
- Oil – for deep frying
- Soak Coconut slices in luke warm water for 10 min.
- Wash and soak urad dal for 30 min.
- Grind coconut slices with less water. (To get thick milk)
- Filter it using a strainer or colander layered with cheesecloth. (This is First Milk)
- Squeeze the milk as much as possible and save the pulp.
- Again add some luke warm water to the pulp and grind it nicely.
- Filter again. (This is second milk). This will be thinner than the first one.
- You can even take third milk. But, I don’t prefer it because it will be more thinner.
- Combine both the milks. Add sugar and cardamom powder and mix it.
- Let the sugar gets dissolved in the milk completely.
- Drain urad dal completely and grind it without adding water.
- If necessary just sprinkle water. Transfer batter to a bowl.
- Add very little salt and mix well.
- Heat oil over medium heat for deep frying.
- Drop a small amount of batter into the hot oil. it should come up immediately. Then the oil is ready for making vada.
- Wet you fingers and take a small gooseberry sized batter and drop it into oil. Fry in batches. Do not overload.
- For this recipe vada could be on any shape. Try to take equal sized batter so that it get cooked evenly. Do not make big vada.
- Flip and fry until they turn golden brown.
- Filter vada from oil and drop hot vada into coconut milk.
- The vada will absorb the milk and increase in size. It may take around 20 min.
- Serve vada with coconut milk(like gulab jamun) in a bowl.
- During the urad dal soaking time, prepare coconut milk.
- You can add some cardamom pods while grinding coconut. If so, skip adding cardamom powder.
- Dipping your finger in water makes you to drop batter easily. (Non-sticky)
- Cook vada in batches. If you are preparing many batches, filter and transfer soaked vada into another vessel. You can add some coconut milk and serve it later.
- Because when you drop new batch vada into coconut milk, the bottom vadas may get mashy.
- If you make big vadas the centre part of vada will not absorb coconut milk.
- Also you should add hot vadas. Otherwise it will not absorb coconut milk. So always keep the coconut milk ready before adding vada.
- Before serving the palaharam, Just cut one soaked vada using a spoon. It should cut smoothly. Then it is ready. If not leave it for another 10 min.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :