FISH FRY – SOUTH INDIAN STYLE
Fish fry / Meen Varuval / Chepala Vepudu is a spicy fish side dish. Fish fry is easy to prepare and made using very less ingredients. I am using White fish today. You can try this recipe using any kind of fish. White fish is a kind of soft fish. Always prefer fresh wild caught fish. Farm raised fishes are not good for health.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve as side dish with rice and sambar, kuzhambu, rasam.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Side Course YIELD : 2-3 servings
- Olive oil – 3 Tbsp
- Garlic – 3-4 cloves
- Lemon – 1/4 piece or 1 Tsp lemon juice
For Marinating :
- Fish – 3 pieces
- Turmeric – as needed
- Salt – as needed
- Red chilli powder – 1 tbsp or as needed
- Cut the fish into medium size pieces. Clean and wash it well.
- Add salt and turmeric. Mix well and let it sit for 5 min. Then rinse it. (This step helps in removing impurities from the flesh)
- Drain water completely.
- In a plate, combine salt, turmeric and red chilli powder.
- Spread this spice powder over the drained fish pieces. Marinate on both sides.
- Keep it aside for 2 hours. You can refrigerate it. You can even fry immediately. But marinating time helps the fish to absorb the flavors.
- Finely chop garlic and mix it with olive oil. Use this while frying fish pieces.
- Heat a tawa or griddle over medium high heat. When it is hot enough, sprinkle some oil and place the marinated fish pieces. Always cook the skin side first.
- Spread the garlic oil on the top. Let it cook for 3 min.
- Carefully flip it and cook for another 2-3 min.
- Remove from griddle and place it over a kitchen towel to absorb the excess oil. Squeeze in the lemon juice on the top.
- You can use any oil. I prefer olive oil for fish recipes.
- If your fish is thin, then marinate it for an hour or less.
- If you are using frozen fish, marinate the fish and freeze it. You can use it when needed.
- According to the fish quantity adjust the red chilli powder.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :