ONION BAJJI – Thool Bajji / Instant Snack
Bajjji is a deep fried recipe. You can see variety of bajji in tea shops all over South India. Thool Bajji is a simple tea time snack using onion and besan flour as main ingredient. This thool bajji is very instant that you can prepare while making tea.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Tea time snack, Instant snack
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Snack YIELD : 2-3 servings
- Onion(medium) – 1
- Green chilli – 2
- Besan flour / gram flour – 1/2 cup
- Rice flour – 1/4 cup
- Salt – as needed
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 Tsp
- Hing / Asafoetida – a pinch
- Ghee – 1 Tsp
- Water – as needed
- Oil – for deep fry
- Mix besan and rice flour together. (If you have any lumps in besan, just whisk it)
- Add salt, red chilli powder and hing. Combine well and flour mix is ready.
- Slice onion and finely chop green chilli.
- Combine onion, chilli and flour mix. Add ghee and mix well.
- Add water little by little and mix well.
- Onion should be coated with wet flour. That’s it. Do not add more water.
- Heat oil over medium heat for deep frying.
- When the oil is hot enough, drop the onions in very small batches. (To check the oil, start with one onion piece. When you drop it into oil, it should come up immediately which indicates the oil is ready to fry)
- Do not over load. Fry until it becomes golden brown.
- Transfer to a kitchen towel to absorb excess oil.
- After slicing onion, crush it with fingers to separate it.
- Thool bajji should be in the consistency where you can see more onions than batter. If you like to prepare it like bajji (onion is completely covered with batter) then double the quantity of besan and rice flour and adjust the spices according to it.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :