FLAX SEED PODI – Flax Seed Chutney Powder
Flax seeds(Aali Vidhai in tamil) are an excellent source of Omega 3 fatty acids and loaded with Vitamin B1. These are considered as one of the healthy foods all over the world. You can add flax seeds to Smoothies, Salads, Pasta and many food recipes.
Today I am sharing South Indian dry chutney powder recipe which can be used in many ways. Mix this powder with oil and it can be served with Idly and dosa. You can sprinkle this powder to stir-fry recipes. You can use as spread for bread. It can be served with hot rice with a Tbsp of ghee.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Idly / Dosa side dish.
- Topping for salads, stir-fry.
- Spread for bread.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian YIELD : 3/4 cup
- Flax seeds – 1/2 cup
- Urad dal – 2 Tbsp
- Channa dal – 2 Tbsp
- Red chilli – 7 (adjust with your spice level)
- Garlic – 10 tiny cloves or 3 large cloves
- Curry leaves – 1 String
- Tamarind – 1/2 small gooseberry size
- Salt – as needed
- Asafoetida / Hing – 1/4 Tsp
- Dry roast flax seeds over medium-low heat. Roast until seeds start to crackle like sesame seeds. Transfer to a plate.
- Dry roast urad dal and channa dal until golden brown.
- Roast red chillies, garlic, tamarind and curry leaves until curry leaves becomes completely dry. If you are doing this for the first time then roast all ingredients separately.
- Transfer everything to a plate. Add salt and hing.
- Let everything cool down completely. Grind into a fine powder.
- Transfer to an air-tight container and refrigerate it. Use within 3 months.
- You can skip using garlic and tamarind.
- I prefer to prepare in small batches.
- You can even freeze this powder.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :