POTATO CURRY WITH COCONUT – Urulaikizhangu Paal Curry
Paal (Milk) Curry is a traditional South Indian recipe. Adding milk to this curry makes it so rich and delicious. Potato is a common vegetable and it is most likely loved by people of all ages. This yummy potato paal curry can be seen in almost all traditonal wedding feasts (Kalyana Virundhu). This recipe has a great texture and mild flavour.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve as a side dish for rice with Sambar or Kuzhambu varieties.
- Serve with chapathi / Poori.
- Use as a stuffing for masala dosa.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Side-dish YIELD : 2-3 servings
- Potato – 2
- Green peas (frozen / fresh / dry) – 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup
- Onion(sliced) – 1/4 cup or less
- Curry leaves – 1 string
- Salt – as needed
- Water – as needed
- Coconut – 1/4 cup
- Boiled milk – 3-4 Tbsp
Chilli Paste :
- Ginger – 1 or 2 inch
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Green chilli – 4 (adjust to spice level)
For Tempering :
- Coconut oil – 1 Tbsp
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
- Cardamom – 3
- Cloves – 4
- Fennel seeds – 1 Tsp
- Boil potatoes. Peel the skin and chop into medium size pieces.
- If using dry green peas, soak them overnight ( 8 hours) and pressure cook them for 3 whistles. If using fresh green peas, cook separately until they are completely done. If using frozen peas, you can add it directly in the pot. (I am using frozen peas)
- Grind chilli paste with enough water.
- Grind coconut as a paste with required water.
- Heat oil in a kadai / pan. Temper with whole spices (cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and fennel seeds)
- Saute once. Add onions and curry leaves. Saute until onions becomes translucent.
- Add chilli paste. Cook until there is no raw smell. Add in green peas and enough water to cook it. Cover with a lid..
- When they are done add chopped potatoes and salt. Combine well and let it get cooked for 2-3 min.
- Add coconut paste and mix well. Let it come to a boil (2-3 min) Adjust the consistency by adding enough water.
- Add milk and give a good mix. Turn off the heat. Remember it will get thickened a bit even after removing it from the heat.
- You can use fennel powder instead of fennel seeds. If so, add it after adding onion.
- If you don’t have fennel powder, you can grind fennel seeds with coconut.
- You can adjust peas and potato quantity as you prefer.
- Adding coconut oil gives a traditional touch and very good flavour to this curry. You can alter this with any oil you like.
- You can add coconut milk instead of using coconut paste. The texture will be different. I prefer adding coconut paste.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :