TOMATO COCONUT CHUTNEY
This is a Quick and easy chutney recipe with very less ingredients. It has a unique colour and it tastes good with Idly, Dosa, Vada and Bajji. It can be also used as a spread for sandwich and chapati.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve with Idly / Dosa.
- Serve with Bajji, bonda, vada and snacks.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Side Dish YIELD :2-3 Servings
- Tomato – 2
- Green Chilli – 3 or 4
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Channa Dal – 1 Tbsp
- Greated coconut – 1/4 cup
For Tempering :
- Oil – 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 Tsp
- Hing / Asafoetida – a pinch
- Curry leaves – 3-4
- Roughly chop tomato and green chilli.
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add channa dal and roast until golden brown.
- Add roughly chopped tomato and green chillies.
- Add salt and Cover with a lid.
- Cook until tomatoes become soft. Mash it using spatula(optional step)
- Add coconut and combine well.
- Turn off the heat and let it completely cool down.
- Grind it with required water.
- Tempering : Heat oil. Add Mustard seeds. When it starts to splutter add urad dal and roast until golden brown. Add curry leaves and hing. Turn off the heat.
- Add this tempering to the chutney.
- You can adjust coconut level according to your preference.
- Refrigerate the left over chutney and use it for next day. Do not use it over that.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :