FISH CURRY USING COCONUT MILK – Fish Gravy
This Fish curry is one of my experiment recipe. Once we had an awesome Fish curry in a restaurant. We personally called the chef and appreciated him.
I tried to recreate that recipe and ended with is excellent Coconut milk Fish Curry. I am very happy to post this recipe. Don’t worry. I have tried this many times and some of my friends got this recipe and tried it. All are fine. I am using Halibut fish today. You can use any fish. I have tried this with Tilapia, Swai and Cod.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve with Zeera Pulao or any other pulao varieties.
- Serve with Chapati or Naan.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Main Course YIELD : 3 – 4 Servings
- Coconut oil – 2 Tbsp
- Bay leaf – 2
- Green Chilli – 3 or 4
- Onion – 1
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 Tbsp
- Tomato -2
- Turmeric – 1/2 Tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Water – as needed
- Fish pieces – 1/2 kg or less
- Coconut milk – 1/2 cup
- Coriander leaves – for garnishing
For Curry Powder :
- Red Chilli – 5 or 6
- Black pepper – 1/4 Tsp
- Coriander seeds – 2 Tbsp
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
- Cloves – 4
- Cardamom – 3
- Wash the fish thoroughly. Cut into medium sized pieces.
- Apply salt and turmeric. Let it sit for some time. Rinse it before adding this to the curry.
- Prepare coconut milk. Use first and second milk.
- Dry roast all the ingredients given for curry powder and grind it into a fine powder.
- Finely chop onion and tomato.
- Heat a pan/kadai over medium heat. Add Oil.
- When it is hot add bay leaf and then green chillies.
- Add onion and saute until golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste. Saute until there is no raw smell.
- Add tomatoes and salt. Cover and cook until soft.
- Add little water, freshly grounded curry powder and turmeric.
- Cook until oil oozes out on the top. Add Coconut Milk.
- Let it come to a boil and then add fish pieces. Let it cook for 3 min.
- Flip the fish pieces and cook for another 2-3 min.
- Turn off the heat and garnish with some coriander leaves.
- The spicy(hot) level is high. Reduce the quantity of green chilli and red chilli if you want to make it less spicy.
- Use well ripened tomato for best result.
- Cooking time for fish varies with the size and thickness of the fish pieces.
- Using coconut oil gives good taste and flavor to the curry. You can use any oil.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :