DAL – PARUPPU KADAYAL
Paruppu Kadayal is a kind of sambar recipe without tamarind and veges. You could use the combination of toor dal and split moong dal for this recipe. Today I am using only toor dal. Traditionally we use mathu (masher) for mashing the cooked dal. I am using a potato masher today. This dal is best when served with hot rice and some ghee on the top. It can be also served with Chapati or roti varieties.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve with rice and vegetable fry or appalam/vathal of your choice.
- Serve with chapati or roti.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Main Course YIELD : 3-4 servings
- Curry leaves – 1 string
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Green chilli – 3
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Salt – as required
- Coriander leaves – for garnishing
For Cooking Dal :
- Toor dal – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric – 1/4 Tsp
- Garlic – 2 or 3 cloves
- Castor oil – 1 Tsp
- Hing – a pinch
- Water – as required
For Tempering :
- Ghee – 1 Tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 Tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 Tsp
- Wash and soak dal for 20 min.
- Pressure cook dal for 2-3 whistles with turmeric, hing, castor oil, garlic and enough water.
- Finely chop onion, tomato and slit green chillies.
- Heat a pan or kadai. Melt ghee.
- Temper with given ingredients. Add a pinch of hing if you like.
- Add garlic and curry leaves.
- Saute for a min or less. Add onions and green chillies.
- Cook until onions are done. Add tomatoes and salt.
- Cook until tomatoes are mushy. While cooking these mash the dal.
- Mashing dal : Remove cooked dal from pressure cooker. Filter the excess water. We will use it later. Mash the dal using a potato masher or mathu.
- When tomatoes are done add mashed dal and filtered water.
- Add excess water if needed. Combine everything well.
- Cook for 3-4 min and turn off the heat. Garnish with some coriander leaves.
- Filtering water from cooked dal makes it easy to mash.
- Adding tomatoes gives good taste to this recipe. So use well ripened and big tomato.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :