KATHIRIKAI PULI KUZHAMBU – Brinjal(Eggplant) Curry
Kathirikai Puli kuzhambu is a tasty South Indian curry which is served with rice. This is spicy and more flavourful kuzhambu recipe. Usually this recipe is made using small sized whole brinjals with slits in between. But today I am using large brinjals and cut those into 4 halves.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve with white rice along with any kootu or usili or apalam / Vathal.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Main Course YIELD : 3-4 Servings
- Sesame Oil – 3-4 Tbsp + 1 Tsp
- Brinjal – 3 large
- Garlic cloves – 6
- Shallots / Baby onions – 10-12
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 Tbsp
- Turmeric – 1/4 Tsp
- Tamarind – gooseberry size
- Water – as needed
- Salt – as needed
For Tempering :
- Mustard seeds – 1 Tsp
- Fenugreek – 1/4 Tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 Tsp
- Curry leaves – 5 or 6
- Red chilli – 2
For Roasting and Grinding :
- Oil – 2 Tsp
- Rice – 1/2 Tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 Tsp
- Coriander seeds – 2 Tbsp
- Tomato – 1
- Chop tomatoes, onion and garlic.
- Soak tamarind in warm water and extract juice.
- Wash the brinjals and keep it ready. Cut it before you add it to the curry.
- Heat oil for roasting. Add coriander seeds, fennel and rice.
- Roast it for a min and add tomatoes. Cook for 2-3 min.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool down completely. Grind into a paste using required water.
- Heat oil for the curry. Cut the brinjals and add it. (Use whole brinjals if possible)
- Cook for 5-7 min. Remove it from oil and place it separately.
- In the same oil roast mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fenugreek.
- Add curry leaves and red chillies. Saute once.
- Add onions and garlic. Saute until onion becomes soft.
- Add red chilli powder and turmeric. Combine well.
- Add salt and the ground paste we prepared earlier.
- Combine well and cover the pan. Cook until oil oozes out on the top.
- Add brinjals and tamarind water. Combine well and add more water if needed.
- Cook until oil oozes out on the top.
- Turn off the heat and add a Tsp of sesame oil the top.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :