ADHIRASAM / Ariselu
Adhirasam is a Traditional South Indian sweet recipe made using raw rice and jaggery during the time of Diwali and other occasions. Many people feel it hard to prepare this recipe. But if you follow the steps properly you can prepare very delicious adhirasam. Try to use maavu pacharisi and good quality jaggery for this recipe.
Click here for other Diwali Recipes.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Snack, Festival Sweet
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Snack YIELD : 8-12 athirasam
- Raw rice / Pacharisi – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 3/4 cup
- Water – as needed
- Cardamom – a pinch
- Ghee -1 Tsp
- Sukku / Dried ginger(opt) – small pinch
- Oil – for deep fry
- Wash and soak raw rice for 2 hours.
- Drain the water completely and spread it on a clean cloth or kitchen towel.
- Let it air dry for 15-20 min.
- When you hold the rice it should be damp but not wet. That is the right time.
- Transfer this to a blender and grind it. Very little coarse powder is needed.
- If you get it more coarse powder then sieve it and then grind it again.
- In a pan melt jaggery with 1/2 cup water. Let the jaggery melt completely.
- Filter this to another pan to get rid of all the impurities.
- Boil it until you get soft ball consistency. (To check, drop two drops of the jaggery syrup in a bowl of water. You should be able to roll it and make a soft ball from the syrup. It should not melt in water)
- Add sukku powder. Combine well.
- Turn off the heat. Add the rice flour to this syrup in batches and combine well.
- You will get a rough dough like batter.
- Transfer this to a small bowl and spread a Tsp of ghee on top.
- Cover the bowl with a lid or You can cover it with a cloth and put a knot on it.
- Let it be like that for a day or two.(You could store this for 5 days without refrigeration)
- After 2 days make adhirasam. Heat oil for deep fry over medium-low heat.
- Grease a plastic paper with oil.
- Take a gooseberry sized dough and roll it like a ball.
- Place it on the greased paper and press it flat using fingers.
- Make a hole in the center(optional).
- Carefully slide it on the hot oil. Let it get cooked on one side.
- Flip it and cook on another side. Remove from pan and place it on a paper towel to get rid of excess oil.
- You can add a Tsp of ghee to the sugar syrup.
- After 2 days if it is too dry apply some curd on your hand and make balls out of the dough. Do not use more. Just grease your hand.
- Also you can add some milk if your dough is hard after 2 days.
- If is too sticky, then you could add little wheat flour to it.
- You can add a Tsp of poppy seeds to the flour while mixing it with sugar syrup.
- Do not flatten it too thin, then your adhirasam will be crispy.
Usually I post recipes with Step by Step picture. I couldn’t take pictures for this time. Will add step by step picture when I prepare next time.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.