TOMATO SOUP – Thakali Soup
Tomato soup is very simple and also a common soup. You can see this menu in most of the restaurant’s menu card. Many instant soup mixes are available in market today. But it is always good to have home made soup from fresh ingredients.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve as appetizer for Lunch/Dinner.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : World
COURSE : Soup YIELD : 1 or 2 Servings
- Tomato – 2 or 3 Large
- Water – as needed
- Butter – 2 Tbsp
- Cumin seeds(opt) – 1/2 Tsp
- Garlic cloves – 2 or 3
- Onion(medium) – 1/2
- All purpose flour / maida – 1 Tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Black Pepper powder – to taste
- Fresh cream(opt) – to taste
- Slit the tomatoes and pressure cook it for 1 whistle with enough water. You can also cook in open pan until completely cooked.
- Roughly chop onion and garlic.
- Cool down the tomatoes completely. Reserve the water. Remove the skin from cooked tomatoes.
- Melt 1 Tbsp butter in a pan. Add cumin seeds and saute for few seconds.
- Add garlic and onions one after the other and saute until onions are cooked well but not caramelised (golden brown).
- Turn off the heat. Let it cool down.
- Add these sauteed onions and cooked tomatoes in a blender / Mixie and blend it smooth. Add water if needed. (Use reserved water)
- In the same pan melt another Tbsp butter and add flour.
- Saute it well for few minutes until it becomes golden brown in colour.
- Filter the tomato blend and add it to the pan.
- Let it cook for 3-4 min over low heat.
- Add some salt and pepper. Combine well and turn off the heat.
- Serve hot. Add some fresh cream on the top.
- Serve with bread croutons.
- You can saute the tomatoes in the pan itself instead of cooking in pressure cooker. But I feel blanching it separately gives a good flavour to the soup.
- You can add some basil or oregano if you like.
- Also you can add a bay leaf while adding garlic. Remove the bay leaf while grinding.
- You can add some fresh cream while heat is on. Cook for few min over low heat.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :