MURUKKU – Puzhungal Arisi Murukku / Par Boiled Rice Savoury Snack
Murukku is a crunchy savoruy snack recipe which is popular in South India. Also this is one of the main snack prepared during Diwali Festival. The main ingredient used here is rice. We can use either raw rice or parboiled rice for this snack. I prefer the parboiled rice murukku since it gives very good taste. This recipe is little more work than the raw rice murukku recipe. But it tastes the best.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Snack , Diwali Recipe
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Snack YIELD : 30 – 35 murukku
- Puzhungal Arisi / Parboiled rice – 1 cup
- Roasted Urad dal powder – 1/4 cup
- Black sesame seeds – 1 Tsp
- Ajwain – 1 Tsp
- Hing / Asafoetida – 1/4 Tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Butter – 1 Tbsp
- Oil – for deep frying
- Wash and soak rice for about 3-4 hours.
- Dry roast urad dal over medium heat and grind into fine powder.
- Grind the soaked rice with enough water. We want a fine batter but not in running consistency.
- Add butter, urad dal powder, salt, sesame seeds, ajwain and hing.
- Combine well to make a semi soft dough. Dough should not be too soft or too hard. Add little water or urad dal flour as needed.
- Heat oil over medium heat for deep fry.
- Grease the murukku mold with butter or coconut oil.
- Fill it with enough dough. Cover the remaining dough with a wet cloth to prevent it from drying out.
- Check the oil temperature. Drop a small pinch of dough. It should come up immediately. Then your oil is ready to fry.
- Press murukku mold and prepare murukku on the back of the spatulas. This step helps in making it easy.
- Drop the murukku carefully in the hot oil by flipping the spatula on the top surface of the hot oil. Fry in batches.
- Let it fry. Flip it and fry on the other side. When you see no bubbles around the murukku you can filter it from oil.
- Place it on a paper towel to get rid of excess oil.
- Store in an air-tight container when it is completely cool down.
- When your batter is ready you can add the butter to the mixer jar and grind it along with rice. This way butter will blend smooth along with the batter.
- You can add cumin seeds instead of sesame seeds.
- You can prepare murukku in any size you like. Frying time differs according to the size of the murukku.
- You can add red chilli powder if you want it to make more spicy.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :