MASALA IDLI UPMA – Leftover Idli |Carrot Idli | Peas Idli
Idli is a popular and very common South Indian recipe. Leftover idlis are also common in every kitchen. You can simply reheat the leftover idlis and have it or you could make it more interesting like this. Masala Idli upma is quick and easy recipe to make leftovers more flavorful. I am adding peas, carrots and capsicum to this masala upma. You could use beans, potatoes, tomatoes and any other vegetable of your choice for this delicious upma.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve as after school snack, Breakfast.
- Serve with chutney of your choice.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Snack, Breakfast YIELD : 2 Servings
- Idli – 5
- Sesame oil – 1 Tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Urad dal – 1 Tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Channa dal – 1Tsp
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Green chilli – 1
- Curry leaves – 1 string
- Onion – 1/4 cup finely chopped
- Green peas – 1/4 cup
- Capsicum / Bell peppers – 1/4 cup
- Turmeric (opt) – 1/4 Tsp
- Carrot – 1/2 cup grated
- Salt – as needed
- Idli Milagai podi / Flax Seed Milagai podi – 2 Tbsp or as needed
- Crumble idlis coarsely.
- Finely chop garlic, green chillies, onion, capsicum and grate the carrots.
- Heat oil over medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds. When it starts to splutter add channa dal and urad dal.
- Roast until golden brown. Add cumin seeds and saute once.
- Add in chopped garlic, green chillies and curry leaves.
- Saute for few seconds. Add onions and cook until they become translucent.
- Add the capsicum , green peas, turmeric and salt. Combine well and cook until they are done.
- Add grated carrots and saute for a min. Add Idli milagai podi and give a good mix.
- Add the crumbled idlis and combine thoroughly.
- Turn off the heat. Add chopped coriander leaves(optional).
- Adding shallots / baby onions gives good taste. (I am using regular onion today)
- If you are serving for kids do not add green chillies. Kids may not notice the green chilli. Use only one red chilli instead.
- Use any color capsicum. Also you can adjust the vegetable quantity as needed.
- You can also cut the carrots and add it while adding peas and capsicum. I like to add grated carrots.
- You can add beans, potatoes, tomatoes and any other vegetables you like.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :