BRINJAL KA SALAN – Baingan / Kathirikai/ Vankaya / Eggplant Curry – Step by Step procedure with pictures
Brinjal ka Salan is a famous Hyderabadi recipe. This Salan is rich and has a creamy texture. We get the thick consistency and texture by grinding peanuts, coconut and sesame seeds. This curry is a perfect side dish for Pulao, Biryani or Roti varieties. Years ago my neighbor prepared this salan during a potluck. I loved this recipe and learnt the procedure form her.
This salan is bit spicy(hot). Usually I prepare Jeera Pulao and this salan for lunch and make chapatti for dinner. I have already shared an egg curry recipe without using tomato. This is an another no tomato curry recipe.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- With Pulao, Biryani, Chapati or roti.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Main Course YIELD : 4-5 Servings
- Brinjal – 3-4 (Baby brinjal – 6-7)
- Oil – 3 Tbsp
- Onion – 1 cup (finely chopped)
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 Tbsp
- Turmeric – 1/2 Tsp
- Red chilli powder – 3/4 Tbsp
- Coriander powder – 3/4 Tbsp
- Salt – as needed
- Water – as needed
- Yogurt / Curd – 3 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – for garnishing
For Tempering :
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Fenugreek – 1/4 Tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 Tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Red chilli – 3
- Green Chilli – 3
For Roasting and Grinding :
- Coconut – 3-4 Tbsp (grated)
- White Sesame seeds – 1 Tbsp
- Groundnut – 2 Tbsp
- Dry roast groundnuts over medium heat for about 3 min.
- Reduce the heat to med-low. Add sesame seeds and coconut to it.
- Roast for 5 min or until you get good aroma of coconut.
- Cool down completely and grind it with required water. Ground paste is ready.
- Finely chop onion, slit green chillies.
- Slit the brinjal (+ shape). Use with stem. Make sure there are no worms in it. Wash it and soak in water. (to prevent from decoloring)
- Heat oil over medium heat. Pat dry the soaked brinjal and put it on hot oil.
- Cover with a lid. Flip it for ever 2 min. Fry until it is completely done.
- Remove it from oil and place it on a paper towel.
- In the same oil add mustard seeds, fenugreek and cumin seeds.
- Add curry leaves, green chillies and red chillies. Be careful curry leaves may splutter. Saute for few seconds.
- Add onions and salt. Combine well and cover with a lid.
- Cook until onions become brown. Add ginger garlic paste and saute until no raw smell.
- Add spice powders. (turmeric, red chilli powder and coriander powder)
- Combine once and add the ground paste. add 2 cups of water or as needed. It should be in running consistency.
- Cover with a lid and cook until the oil separates on the top. Mix well often. (May take 20 min)
- Beat the yogurt and add it. Combine once and cook of another 2 min.
- Add the fried brinjal. Simmer the heat and cook of 3-4 min on each side.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and turn off the heat.
- Try to use small(baby) brinjals. ( I am using medium sized brinjals)
- According to the size of the brinjal, frying time differs.
- Do not use tomatoes in this curry. You could add tamarind if you wish. But it will alter the texture and taste.
- Using sesame oil brings more flavor to this curry.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments and queries down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :