Beans Parupu Usili | Beans with Dal | Step By Step Procedure with Pictures
Paruppu Usili is a traditional Tamil recipe which is popular among Brahmin Community. Cluster beans (Kothavarangai) and Beans are commonly used vegetables in this Usili. Today I am sharing Beans Usili.
Beans cooked along with toor dal or channa dal or combination of both. You can cook the dal in two ways. You can directly fry it in oil as we do for varuval or you can steam it and then fry it. I prefer the steaming+frying method since it takes less oil.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve with steamed rice along with Mor kuzhambu, Garlic Kuzhambu , Vatha Kuzhambu or any Kuzhambu varieties.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Side course YIELD : 2-3 Servings
- Beans – 1 or 1.5 cups
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 Tsp
- Hing – 1/2 Tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Coconut (optional)- 2 Tbsp grated
For Grinding :
- Toor dal – 4 Tbsp
- Channa dal – 2 Tbsp
- Water – as needed
- Red chilli – 2
- Green chilli – 1
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 Tbsp
- Salt – as needed
- Wash toor dal and channa dal and soak it together for an hour.
- String the beans. Wash well and chop it.
- Drain excess water from the dal. Add red chilli, green chilli, cumin seeds and salt.
- Grind it into a coarse paste without adding water. (sprinkle very little water if needed)
- Grease an idly plate using oil. Transfer this dal paste to the idly plate.
- Boil water in an Idly steamer. Place the beans and dal. Steam it for about 10-12 min. (See pic below)
- When the dal cooled down to room temperature, crumble it well using fingers. ( Or you can pulse it a little using a blender/mixie)
- Heat oil in a kadai / pan. Temper with mustard seeds, urad dal and hing.
- Add the crumbled dal and curry leaves. Saute it for few min. (Do not make it too dry)
- Add the cooked beans. (Drain the water if exists) Combine well.
- Simmer the heat and cover with a lid. Cook for 3-4 min.
- Add grated coconut and turn off the heat. Combine well and transfer it to a serving bowl immediately.
- If it stays in the pan sometimes it may loose its moisture due to the heat in the pan.
- I am steaming beans and dal in an Idly pan. You can use any preferred method.
- While steaming beans you do not need to add water. If you are pressure cooking it add little water.
- You could skip steaming the dal paste and directly fry it in oil. You need more oil for this method. Also use heavy bottomed kadai or non-stick pan to prevent it from getting burnt at the bottom.
- If you fry it for long time, dal will get dry and rough. So keep an eye while frying the dal. Sprinkle very little water if your dal get fried too much.
- You can add finely chopped onion before adding cooked dal. It gives little moisture to this recipe.
- Adding grated coconut is optional.
- If you have drained water from beans, you could add it in the kuzhambu or other recipes. Do not discard it.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :