POTATO MASALA FOR POORI|Poori Kizhangu |Step by step procedure with pictures
Potato Masala is a famous recipe in Tamil Nadu (South India) which is commonly served with puffed Pooris for breakfast. It makes you to feel full until noon. This masala is mild spicy, easy to make and you could use the leftovers in different ways.
Puffy pooris and this potato masala makes a classic sunday breakfast. I like to prepare Masala dosa using the left overs. In fact, I prepare this more in quantity and make masala dosa.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve with Poori, Chapati.
- Spread over dosa and serve as a Masala dosa.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Main Course YIELD : 2-3 Servings
- Potato – 2 (medium size)
- Curry leaves – few
- Green chilli – 4 or 5
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Onion – 1 (medium size)
- Hing – a pinch
- Turmeric – 1/2 Tsp
- Water – as needed
- Salt – as needed
For Tempering :
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 Tsp
- Channa dal – 1 Tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Boil potatoes with enough water. (Pressure cook it for 1 whistle or cook in pan until soft)
- Slit green chillies. Chop garlic. Slice onions.
- Heat a kadai or a pan. Add oil.
- When it is hot add mustard seeds. When it starts to splutter add cumin seeds, urad dal and channa dal. Saute for few seconds until golden brown.
- Add garlic and green chillies.
- Saute for a min. Add sliced onions, curry leaves and salt. Saute until transparent and soft.
- In a bowl add boiled potatoes and mash it lightly with fingers or a fork.
- Add little water to this potato and combine well. This gives a good gravy consistency to the masala. Keep it ready.
- Add turmeric powder and hing to the onions. Combine well and cook for a min.
- Now add the mashed potatoes. Give a good mix. Add water if needed.
- Let it get cooked for about 5 min over low heat. Turn off the heat.
- You can add a small tomato to this masala to add little tangy flavor. Do not add more, since it will change color and taste.
- If you are cooking large quantity, combine a tbsp of besan flour and little water in a bowl. Add this mix after adding potatoes. It will give a thick consistency.
- You could directly add potatoes to the masala without combining it to water. Chop the potatoes as you desire and add it. However you should mash some potato pieces in the masala to get good consistency.
- You could use remaining potato masala for making Masala Dosa.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :