GREEN PEAS SUNDAL | Pachai Pattani Sundal | Step by step procedure with pictures
Sundal is a healthy snack recipe prepared with legumes. It is commonly prepared during Navratri festival. This is one of the best snack for kids. I have already shared Peanut / Verkadalai sundal and Chana / Chickpea Sundal recipe. Today I am sharing Sundal using dried green peas. This recipe is easy to prepare and has a good source of protein and dietary fiber.
Soaking green peas overnight reduces the cooking time and also make the peas softer. Cooked peas will get tempered along with coconut and green chilli paste. Let us see the procedure for preparing this tasty pattani sundal.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Snack, After school snack, tea time snack.
- Serve as a side dish with rice and sambar or rasam.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Snack YIELD : 2-3 servings
- Dried green peas – 1/2 cup
- Water – as needed
- Salt – as needed
- Coconut oil – 2 Tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 Tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 Tsp
- Curry leaves – 4 or 5
- Hing – a pinch
For Grinding :
- Coconut – 1/4 cup grated
- Green chilli – 2
- Cumin seeds -1 Tsp
- Soak green peas overnight or for 8 hours.
- Wash that soaked green peas twice.
- Add enough water and little salt. Pressure cook it for 4-5 whistles or until soft.
- It should be soft but not in mashing consistency.
- Grind coconut along with green chilli and cumin seeds.
- Heat a pan or kadai. Add oil.
- Add mustard seeds. When it starts spluttering add urad dal.
- Saute until it becomes golden brown in color. Add curry leaves and hing.
- Add the coconut paste and little salt(if needed).
- Saute until there is no raw smell. Add cooked peas.
- Combine well and allow it to cook for 3-4 min or as needed.
- Peas should get coated with the masala. Don’t make it too dry. Turn off the heat when there is some moisture in it.
- Coconut oil gives good flavour and taste for this recipe. You can use any oil.
- Adjust green chilli quantity.
- You can use the water from cooked peas for grinding the coconut paste.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :