ELLU THUVAIYAL | Sesame Seeds Thogayal |Til Seeds Chutney
Sesame seeds has a great source of copper, manganese, calcium and other minerals. You can add this goodies to your menu in various way. Sprinkle few of these seeds to your salad or add some roasted seeds to your bread or make a paste of it and your delicious spread is ready. Possibilities are uncountable.
In South Indian cuisine, sesame seeds are often used. Sesame Chutney, Sesame burfi, sesame ladoo and sometimes we add sesame seeds in curry. Today, I am sharing one of the traditional Ellu thuvaiyal (thogayal / thuvayal) recipe. It has a nutty taste and an amazing flavor.
Ellu thuvayal is prepared by grinding roasted sesame seeds along with dried chillies, tamarind and other ingredients. Adding coconut to this thuvaiyal gives great texture and taste to this recipe. You can prepare it even without coconut. Also tempering is completely optional. I suggest you to temper when serving with idly or dosa. It takes very less time for preparing this thuvaiyal.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve as side dish for idly, dosa.
- Serve as side dish for lemon rice, coconut rice, urad dal rice or curd rice.
- Serve with hot rice along with vegetable of your choice.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Side course YIELD : 2 serving
- Ellu / Sesame Seeds(Black) – 2 Tbsp
- Oil – 1/2 Tbsp
- Urad dal – 1 Tbsp
- Red chilli – 3 or 4
- Garlic – 5 or 6
- Tamarind – half of gooseberry size.
- Grated coconut – 2 Tbsp
- Salt and water – as needed
For Tempering :(opt)
- Oil – 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 Tsp
- Curry leaves -few
- Dry roast sesame seeds over medium low heat for 3-4 min or until it starts to pop from the kadai/pan. Do not burnt the sesame seeds. Stir it often for even roasting.
- Transfer it to a plate. Add oil to the same kadai/pan.
- Add urad dal and roast it until it becomes golden brown.
- Add in tamarind, red chillies and garlic in the pan.
- Roast it for about a minute and add coconut.
- Saute for a few seconds and turn off the heat.
- Let everything cool down completely. Add salt and grind it.
- Add water little by little to grind it as thick paste.
- Optional : Heat oil in a kadai for tempering. When it is hot, add mustard seeds. When it starts to splutter add curry leaves and turn off the heat. Pour this tempering on the top of the paste and combine well.
- You can use white sesame seeds instead of black.
- If you are preparing this like chutney for dosa or ildy add more water as needed.
- Do not roast coconut for long time.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by step procedure with pictures :