Vazhakkai Podimas |Raw-Banana Stir-fry | Step by step procedure with pictures
Raw Banana (Vazhakkai / Plaintain) podimas is quick and healthy recipe. This recipe can be prepared with less oil and less ingredients. Raw banana gets cooked separately and then tempered with spices and coconut. It is a perfect side course for South Indian meals.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve with any sambar or rasam with rice.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Side Course YIELD : 2 Servings
- Vazhakkai / Raw banana – 1
- Coconut oil – 1 Tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Channa dal – 1 Tsp
- Urad dal – 1 Tsp
- Ginger – 1 Tbsp (finely chopped)
- Green chilli – 2 or 3
- Shallots / Pearl onions – 10
- Curry leaves – few
- Water and Salt – as needed
- Hing – a large pinch
- Grated coconut – 3 Tbsp
- Pressure cook raw banana with enough water for 1 or 2 whistles. You can cook raw banana in open pan but it takes more time. If you are cooking in open pan wash raw banana thoroughly and cut it into 2 or 3 parts(to reduce cooking time).
- Finely chop ginger, green chillies and pearl onions.
- Peel the skin from cooked raw banana. Grate it using a grater(large hole).
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add mustard seeds to the hot oil.
- When it starts to crackle, add channa dal and urad dal.
- Saute until golden brown. Add ginger and green chillies.
- Saute for a min. Add onions and curry leaves.
- Cook until onions become soft (2-3 min). Add grated raw banana.
- Sprinkle salt and hing. Combine everything together and cook for about 4-5 min over low heat.
- Add grated coconut and turn off the heat. Combine well and serve it.
- You can use regular onions instead of pearl onions.
- Garnish with some coriander leaves if needed.
- Do not cook over medium or high heat after adding grated raw banana. Since we need to retain the moisture in it.
- You can add a pinch of turmeric after adding onions.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :