MINT PULAO | Pudina Rice |Step by step procedure with pictures
Mint pulao is a unique flavorful rice. It is a perfect lunchbox recipe which you can prepare even during busy mornings. A simple raita makes a good pair with this pulao.
Mint and coriander leaves are the main ingredients in this recipe. You can simply prepare this pulao or you can add vegetables of your choice. To make it more healthy I prefer adding vegetables to this pulao.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve with Onion Raita or any raita of your choice.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Main Course YIELD : 2-3 Servings
- Basmati Rice – 1 cup
- Ghee – 1.5 Tbsp+1/2 Tbsp
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
- Cardamom – 3
- Cloves – 4
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Star anise – 1/2
- Cashew nuts – few
- Onion – 1
- Vegetables – 2 cups ( Carrot -1, Beans – 10, Cauliflower – 10 florets, Potato – 1 or 2)
- Salt and water – as needed
For Grinding :
- Mint / pudina – 1 bunch (app 1 cup)
- Coriander leaves – 1 handful (app. 1/2 cup)
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Green chilli – 2
- Garlic – 2 or 3 cloves
- Cumin seeds – 1 Tbsp
- Pepper – 3/4 Tbsp
- Thinly slice the onion. Chop vegetables.
- Grind the given ingredients along with required water to make mint paste.
- Wash and soak Basmati rice in water for 30 min.
- Heat a pressure cooker over medium heat. Add Ghee.
- When it is hot add whole spices(cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, star anise and bay leaf).
- Saute for few seconds and add cashew nuts. Roast it for few seconds.
- Add onions and saute until golden brown. Add chopped vegetables and cook for 5 min.
- Add mint paste, turmeric and salt. Saute for few min.
- Add 2 cups of water. Add in soaked basmati rice and 1/2 Tbsp ghee.
- Combine well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Open the lid when the pressure get released. Mix gently and serve it with raita of your choice.
- You can add raw rice instead of basmati rice. (Soak it for 10 min)
- You can add green peas, broccoli or any other vegetables you like.
- You can add some coconut while grinding.
- You can use oil instead of ghee.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :