Garlic Onion Chutney – Poondu Chinna Vengayam Chutney | Step by step procedure with pictures
Chutney is one of the popular recipe in Indian Cuisine. Today I am sharing a garlic flavored chutney recipe for Idly / Dosa. If you like garlic flavor then definitely you will like this chutney.
Adding chinna Vengayam (pearl onions / baby onions / sambar onions) gives great flavor to any recipe. Some recipes using pearl onions : Fish Thokku , Milagai killi pota sambar, Thatta payir Avaraikai Kuzhambu , Drumstick leaves soup
Peeling pearl onions and garlic may take time but it really worth for the taste and flavor of the recipe. I recommend using sesame oil for this chutney. While you roasting garlic in sesame oil you feel the aroma around your kitchen. I am adding coconut in this recipe. You can prepare this chutney with or without coconut. Adjust the red chilli quantity according to your taste buds.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve with Idly or Dosa
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Side course YIELD : 2-3 Servings
- Garlic – 1 pod (10-15 cloves)
- Pearl onions – 10-12 (Shallots/Baby Onions)
- Red chilli – 3
- Coconut – 1/4 cup grated
- Salt – as needed
- Sesame oil – 3 Tbsp
- Tamarind – small piece (half gooseberry size)
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Urad dal – 1 Tsp
- Water – for grinding
For Tempering: (opt)
- Sesame oil – 1 Tbsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Peel the garlic and onions.
- Heat oil in a kadai / pan. Add mustard seeds.
- When it starts to splutter add urad dal. Saute until golden brown.
- Add garlic and red chilli. Saute once and add pearl onions and tamarind.
- Saute for few minutes until onions are completely done.
- Add coconut and roast it for a min.
- Turn off the heat and add salt.
- Allow it to cool down. Grind it along with required water.
- Transfer to a bowl. Temper with curry leaves and add it on the top.
- (Optional) Add some sesame oil directly while serving.
- Adjust the red chilli quantity.
- If you are serving for children, you can add little sesame oil on the top while serving the chutney. It helps in reducing the hot(spice) level.
- Skip coconut if you are planning to serve this chutney for next day also.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :