Vaan Kozhi Salna – Turkey Curry |Step by step procedure with pictures
Many of my friends asked me to post Chicken recipes. Unfortunately I don’t eat regular chicken nowadays (Vaan Kozhi and Naatu Kozhi are exceptional). So I thought to post this Vaan Kozhi (Turkey) recipe. This South Indian style Turkey salna is a perfect side dish for parotta and also goes well with Biryani.
Turkey is a tough meat and takes more time to cook than chicken. If you are using chicken in this recipe, adjust the cooking time.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve with Biryani or Parotta or Chapati.
- Serve with Pulao ( for that, use less water and make like gravy)
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Main Course YIELD : 3-4 Servings
- Sesame oil – 3 Tbsp
- Onions – 1 cup (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1 cup ( sliced)
- Red chilli powder – 1 Tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1.5 Tbsp
- Garam Masala – 1/2 Tsp
- Turmeric – 1/2 Tsp
- Turkey / Vaan Kozhi – 1 lb or 1/2 kg
- Coriander leaves – for garnishing
- Salt and water – as needed
For Tempering :
- Cinnamon – 2 inch stick
- Cardamom – 4
- Cloves – 5
- Bay leaf – 1
- Curry leaves – few
- Fennel seeds – 1 Tsp
For coconut paste :
- Coconut – 1/4 cup grated
- Poppy seeds – 3/4 Tbsp
- Roasted channa dal – 1 Tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 4 or 5
For Garlic paste :
- Ginger – 2 inch piece
- Garlic – 8 cloves small or 4 big cloves
- Black peppercorns – 3/4 Tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 Tbsp
- Chop onion and tomatoes
- Clean and wash the turkey pieces thoroughly.
- Grind garlic paste(Ginger, garlic, pepper and cumin).
- Heat sesame oil in a pressure cooker over medium heat.
- Add whole spices ( cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaf, cloves). Saute for few seconds and then add fennel seeds and curry leaves.
- Saute once and add chopped onions. Cover and cook until it becomes soft.
- Add garlic paste. Cook until no raw smell.
- Add tomatoes and salt. Cover and cook until oil oozes out on the top.
- Add spice powders ( red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala and turmeric)
- Combine well and saute for a min or two. Add turkey pieces.
- Cover it well with the masala and let it cook for 5 min. add required water.
- Pressure cook it for 4 whistles or as needed.
- During this time grind coconut paste(Coconut , cashew nuts , poppy seeds and roasted channa dal).
- When the pressure is released, check whether the turkey is cooked. If not, cook for some more time as needed.
- If turkey is cooked. then add the coconut paste and cook over medium heat for 5 more min.
- Garnish with some finely chopped coriander leaves and turn off the heat.
- I suggest you to use sesame oil for this recipe. Since it has health benefits while cooking turkey.
- Cooking turkey over a pot takes long time. So I prefer pressure cooking method.
- Cut turkey into medium/small pieces. It reduces the cooking time.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :