Coconut Rice | Thengai Sadam | South Indian Style | Lunch Box recipe |Step by step procedure with pictures
South Indian style Coconut rice recipe is one of the easiest lunch box recipe. It is made using freshly grated coconut along with spices. If you have coconut and cooked rice ready, then you can prepare this thengai sadam (Coconut rice) in a jiffy.
While cooking any variety rice add a tbsp of sesame oil on the top of the hot cooked rice. This helps to keep the rice fluffy and non sticky.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve with chips , papad , vegetable fry or any gravy or kuzhambu of your choice.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Main course YIELD : 2-3 Servings
- Cooked Rice – 2-3 cups
- Coconut – 1 cup (grated)
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 Tsp
- Urad dal – 2 Tsp
- Channa dal – 1 Tbsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Red chilli – 2 or 3 (reduce quantity if using green chilli)
- Ginger – 1/2 Tbsp Finely chopped
- Salt – as needed
- Asafoetida / Hing – 1/2 Tsp
- Cashew nuts – few
- Groundnut – 2 Tbsp
- Green chilli – 1
- Finely chop ginger. Cut red chilli and green chilli.
- Keep the cooked rice ready.
- Heat oil in a pan. When it is hot add mustard seeds.
- When it starts to splutter, add urad dal and channa dal.
- Roast until golden brown. Add green chilli, ginger, red chilli and curry leaves.
- Saute for a min. Add hing and combine well.
- Add grated coconut and required salt.
- Combine well and saute for 2 to 3 min. Do not roast it for a long time.
- Add cooked rice. Combine well and turn off the heat.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Adjust coconut quantity according to your taste.
- You can add groundnuts or cashew nuts while roasted channa dal.
- Adding ginger is optional.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :