MINT CHUTNEY|Pudina Chutney with onion and Tomato | Step by step procedure with pictures
Chutney has a sauce like consistency, commonly served along with various tiffin and snack recipes. This Mint chutney is a perfect side dish for Idly and Dosa.
Mint has various health benefits. Today I am sharing Mint/Pudina chutney along with onion and tomato. You can adjust the quantity of ingredients given according to your taste.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve with Idly / Dosa.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Side Course YIELD : 3-4 Servings
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Channa dal – 2 Tbsp
- Onion – 1/2 cup roughly sliced
- Tomato – 1/2 cup roughly chopped
- Green chilli – 1
- Red chilli – 2
- Tamarind – 1/2 gooseberry size
- Mint – 1 bunch (1.5 cups firmly packed)
- Coriander leaves – 1 cup (firmly packed)
- Coconut – 1/3 cup (grated or sliced)
- Salt – as needed
- Water – as needed
For Tempering :
- Oil – 1 Tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 Tsp
- Urad dal – 1 Tsp
- Curry leaves (opt) – 4 or 5
- Wash mint and coriander leaves. Chop before adding.
- Roughly chop onion, tomato.
- Heat oil over medium heat.
- Add channa dal and roast until golden brown. Add onion.
- Saute until translucent. Add green chilli and red chilli.
- Add tomatoes and cook until soft.
- Turn heat to low. Add mint,tamarind and coriander leaves.
- Saute for a min or 2 min and add coconut.
- Combine once and turn off the heat. Add salt.
- Combine well. Let it cool down completely.
- Grind it well by adding required water. Transfer to a bowl.
- Temper with given ingredients and pour it to the chutney.
- Make sure you add green leaves over low heat. Do not cook for long time. Just a min or 2 is enough. Cooking for long time may darken the leaves and alter the taste.
- You could use tamarind water or paste directly while grinding. Adding tamarind to hot pan makes it easy to grind.
- Adjust the amount of mint and coriander as you like. The colour of the chutney will vary with the quantity of the greens used.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :