Palmiers |Elephant Ears recipe | Step by step procedure with pictures
Palmiers or Elephant Ears is a French Pastry recipe. It is fun and easy to prepare this beautiful hearty recipe at home. I like to use egg wash over the pastry which gives a wonderful outer glaze. If you want your palmiers in light and even color, skip egg wash.
We need only two main ingredients for this recipe. Puff pastry sheet (homemade or store bought) and Sugar. I am using store bought Frozen puff pastry sheet today. You can add flavors like cinnamon , cardamom or nutmeg.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve as a snack, dessert
AUTHOR : Dimple COURSE : Snack / Dessert YIELD : 25-28 palmiers
- Puff Pastry – 1 sheet
- Granulated white Sugar – as needed
- Salt – small pinch
- Cinnamon – as needed
- Turbinado Sugar (raw sugar with large crystals) – as per taste
- Egg – 1 (for egg wash)
- Thaw the pastry sheet. (Place it in refrigerator overnight or on counter top for 30-40 min)
- Preheat the oven for 375 degree Fahrenheit.
- Layer a baking tray with aluminium foil sheet.
- In a mixing bowl add granulated white sugar, Turbinado sugar, salt and cinnamon. Combine well and keep it ready.
- In a bowl beat an egg and keep it aside.
- Rolling Pastry sheet : Dust the working surface and place the pastry sheet. Start rolling the pastry sheet when it is still cold but pliable. Roll it slightly to make an even surface. Cut out the uneven edges. ( We need a rectangle shaped sheet)
- Sugar coating : Sprinkle the sugar mix evenly. Roll over it and lightly press the sugar into the sheet.
- Folding and Egg wash : Fold the sheet inward from both the sides, about an inch and half. Brush with egg mix and sprinkle the sugar mix. Fold it again in a way that both the sides meet in the middle. Repeat with egg wash and sugar. Fold it again.
- Refrigeration : Wrap it using a plastic sheet and refrigerate it for 30-40 min or keep it in the freezer for 10-15 min.
- Slicing : Unwrap it. Sprinkle some sugar mix on both sides. Slightly press the sugar with fingers. Slice it about 1.5 cm thickness.
- Baking : Arrange it on the baking sheet. Make sure you leave required space for each one to puff up. Bake for 8 min. Take it out and carefully flip each palmier and pop it into the oven again. Bake for 8 min or until you get the desired color.
- Cool down and store it in an air-tight container.
- You can use only sugar without any flavors.
- Instead of egg wash you could brush the dough with water. It helps in sticking as layer. Remember using water will give even light brown color and egg wash gives you a beautiful outer glaze.
- If you are baking in batches keep the rest of the slices in fridge until use. You could even freeze it and use whenever needed.
- If you are baking the second batch, make sure you change the aluminum foil sheet. Using the same sheet for the next batch will make your palmier darker and will also have a burnt smell.
- Baking time may differ from 15-20 minutes. Work accordingly.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :