Tomato Rice | Thakkali Sadam | Lunch Box recipe | Step by step procedure with pictures
Use well ripened tomato for this recipe to get good tangy taste. First we will prepare tomato thokku (tomato mix) and then we will combine it with cooked rice. You can use the left over thokku as a side dish for idly / dosa.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Lunch / Main Course YIELD : 2-3 Servings
- Tomato – 2 medium
- Onion – 1 medium
- Green chilli – 2
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Turmeric – 1/2 Tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 Tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Ghee (opt) – 1 Tsp
- Cooked rice – 1.5 or 2 cups
- Coriander leaves – for garnishing
For Tempering :
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Urad dal – 1 Tsp
- Channa dal – 2 Tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Fennel seeds / Sombu – 1/2 Tsp
- Slice onion, green chilli and tomatoes.
- Crush ginger and garlic together.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add mustard seeds.
- When it is starts to splutter add urad dal and channa dal.
- Roast until golden brown. Add curry leaves and fennel seeds.
- Saute once. Add onions and green chilli.
- Add required salt and cook until soft.
- Add crushed ginger garlic and saute for a min.
- Add tomatoes , turmeric and red chilli powder.
- Cover and cook until oil separates. Combine often in between to prevent burning at the bottom.
- (optional) Reserve some of it in a bowl. You can add it later if needed. If you have left over mix , eat it with idly / dosa. Also you can store it and use later.
- When you see oil separates on the top add cooked rice and gently combine it.
- Add a Tsp of ghee. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve it.
- Use well ripen tomatoes. For 1 cup of onions you can use 2 or 2.5 cups of tomatoes. Adjust according to the quality of your tomato.
- You can prepare this the night before you need this. Cook rice in the morning and mix it. Lunch will be ready in minutes.
- Reserving some of the mix helps in later adjustments.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :