Masala Vadai | Paruppu Vadai | Step by step procedure with pictures
Masala vadai , a popular snack and common street food in South India. You can have this crunchy vada with a cup of hot tea / coffee or else you can have it as a side dish for variety rice.
This crispy deep fried savory snack is made with channa dal (Bengal gram) and other spices. Making this yummy snack takes less time except the soaking time of the dal. You can adjust the spices as per your taste.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve during Tea time.
- Serve with variety rice.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Snack YIELD : 12 – 14 medium Vadai
- Channa dal – 1/2 cup
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Fennel seeds – 1 Tsp
- Cinnamon – as required
- Green chillies – 2
- Red chilli – 1
- Onion – 1/2 cup finely chopped
- Some Coriander leaves
- Hing – 1/4 Tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Water – for soaking
- Oil – for deep frying
- Wash and soak channa dal for 2-3 hours.
- Finely chop onion and coriander leaves.
- Completely filter the water from soaked dal.
- Add ginger, garlic, fennel seeds, red chilli, green chilli and cinnamon to a blender / mixie.
- Grind it roughly. Add dal to it. (Make sure that there is no water in the dal)
- Grind it coarsely. If you are using blender, pulse it for some time and then grind it.
- Transfer this to a bowl. Add finely chopped coriander leaves and onion.
- Add hing and salt. Combine everything well.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Make equal size balls. Flatten it and shape it with fingers.
- Drop carefully into the hot oil and fry on both sides until golden brown.
- Fry in batches.
- You could add finely chopped curry leaves.
- Do not add water while grinding.
- Adjust the spices as you like. In addition you can add cumin seeds.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :