Squash Chutney | Vegetable chutney for Idly/Dosa/Chapati | Step by step procedure with pictures
Many of you may wonder about the name. You have read it right. It is SQUASH CHUTNEY for Idly / Dosa / Chapati. One day, at my friend’s place she served me this Mooli Paratha (Radish Chapati) and this squash chutney. Both were new to me and it tasted delicioius. I got the recipe from her and these became a regular menu in my kitchen.
Today I am sharing a chutney recipe using squash. I am using yellow squash and green squash together. You could use any one of them or both of them as per your choice.
You may also like : Chutney recipes for Idly / Dosa
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve with Idly / Dosa or Chapati.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Side dish YIELD : 2-3 Servings
- Squash (Yellow and green) – 2 cups chopped
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Channa dal – 2 Tbsp
- Onion – 1/2 medium
- Tomato – 1 medium
- Green chilli – 3
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Coconut – 1/4 cup grated
For Tempering :
- Sesame oil – 1 Tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 Tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Red chilli – 1 or 2
- Remove the skin from squash and wash it.
- Chop squash, onion, tomato, green chilli and garlic.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add channa dal.
- Roast it until golden brown.
- Add onion and saute it for a min. Add green chilli, garlic and tomatoes.
- Cook for a minute and add squash.
- Cover and cook it for 5 min or until done.
- Add grated coconut and turn off the heat.
- Cool down completely and grind it .
- Tempering : Heat sesame oil in a small pan. Add mustard seeds. When it starts to splutter add urad dal. Saute for few seconds and add cumin seeds. Add curry leaves and red chilli. Saute once and turn off the heat.
- You can add carrot and cabbage also.
- Adjust the quantity of vegetables as you like.
- You can use either yellow squash or green squash or combination of both.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :