Mangai Sambar | Raw Mango Sambar | No tomato No tamarind Sambar recipe | Step by step procedure with pictures
Raw mango(Mangai) sambar is a super tangy recipe which you can serve with steamed white rice or Idly / Dosa. I start to salivate when I hear the word Raw Mango (Maaannngggaaiii). I know that many of you do the same. So enjoy this sambar recipe while raw mangoes are in season.
For most of the sambar recipes we use tamarind water which gives tangy taste to the sambar. For this sambar we don’t need any additional sour taste since raw mangoes are super tangy in nature. However if you are adding other vegetables along with raw mango, add tamarind water as needed.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Main Course YIELD : 2-3 Servings
- Raw mango – 1 cup (chopped)
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Shallots / Pearl onion – 5
- Green chilli – 2
- Sambar Powder – 1 Tbsp
- Drumstick (optional) – 3-4 pieces
- Water and salt – as needed
For cooking dal :
- Toor dal – 1/2 cup
- Castor oil – 1/2 Tbsp
- Turmeric – 1/4 Tsp
- Hing (Asafoetida) – a pinch
- Garlic – 2 cloves
For Tempering :
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Fenugreek – 1/4 Tsp or less
- Hing – a pinch
- Red chilli – 1 or 2
- Curry leaves – few
- Cooking Dal : Wash toor dal and soak it for 20 min. Pressure cook it for 2 whistles along with required water, castor oil, garlic, hing and turmeric. Mash the dal using a mathu (traditional wood masher) or using a potato masher.
- Chop pearl onions, green chilli, raw mango and drumstick.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add green chilli and onions.
- Saute for a min and add chopped raw mango and drumstick.
- Cook it for 3-4 min. Add sambar powder and water.
- Add salt and combine everything. Let it boil for 5-6 min or until there is no raw smell of sambar powder.
- Add mashed dal and give a good mix.
- Tempering : Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add fenugreek, cumin seeds, curry leaves, hing and red chilli. Saute for few seconds and turn off the heat.
- Add a piece of jaggery to the sambar. Combine well and turn off the heat.
- Add the tempering and garnish with coriander leaves.
- If your raw mango is not tangy, add tomato or tamarind water as needed. The raw mango that I used is super tangy so I didn’t need any of those.
- Don’t skip fenugreek. It is important to this recipe.
- You can add other vegetables to this sambar. If so add tamarind water as required.
- This sambar is tangy so prepare spicy vegetable side dish (like varuval / Mutton Chukka / Egg karam / Fish ) for this recipe.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :