Coconut Thogayal | Thengai Thuvaiyal | Step by step procedure with pictures
Coconut thogayal is simple side dish which you can make in no time. Thogayal is different from chutney. Thogayal is usually served with hot steamed rice with a dollop of ghee or sesame oil whereas chutney is commonly served with Idly / Dosa / Upma and many other tiffin or snack varieties.
We will make a simple tempering and grind it along with freshly grated coconut using little water. My mom used to grind the paste using Ammi kallu(Grind stone). It takes very less water and the paste will be thick and tastes delicious. I don’t have one of that. So I am using Blender(mixie).
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve with hot rice with a dollop of ghee(or sesame oil) on the top. Have any vegetable side dish as you like.
- Serve with Kollu Kanji.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Side Course YIELD : 2-3 Servings
- Coconut – 1/2 cup grated
- Oil – 1 Tbsp (use sesame or peanut oil)
- Mustard seeds(opt) – 1/2 Tsp
- Urad dal – 1.5 Tbsp
- Red chilli – 2 or 3
- Curry leaves – few
- Garlic – 2 or 3 cloves
- Tamarind – small candy size
- Hing – 1/4 Tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Water – for grinding
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add mustard seeds.
- Let it splutter. Add urad dal and roast until golden brown.
- Add red chilli, curry leaves and garlic. Roast everything for less than a min.
- Turn off the heat. Immediately add hing and tamarind.
- Give a quick mix and add coconut and salt.
- Let it cool down completely.
- Grind it into a thick coarse paste. Add water little by little as needed.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Adding mustard seeds is optional.
- Adjust the quantity of chilli and coconut as needed. No need of exact measurement in this recipe.
- This should be thick paste. Do not add more water while grinding.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :